Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Europe

Eurostar services cancelled for Monday as investigation starts

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-21

Eurostar is cancelling its English Channel services for Monday, as it investigates the breakdown of several trains over the weekend, stranding passengers for as long as 16 hours.

AFP - Eurostar passenger train services linking Britain to continental Europe will be suspended for a third day Monday, the company said, after a series of trains broke down due to the freezing weather.

The company gave no guarantees that the high-speed services linking London with Paris and Brussels would be back to normal on Tuesday, but said it was modifying trains to prevent them breaking down again.

"Eurostar will not be operating services on Monday," the company said in a statement on its website.

"We sincerely regret having to take this decision and we understand how frustrated and disappointed travellers will be, particularly those who have been waiting to travel for the last two days.

"We strongly advise passengers whose travel is non-essential to change their booking to a later date or claim a refund on their tickets. We have also announced our compensation policy for inconvenienced travellers.

"We will provide a further update regarding Tuesday's services by 1800 GMT on Monday."

Eurostar's commercial director Nick Mercer said test trains had been running Sunday with engineers trying to work out what was making them break down in the cold weather.

They had made modifications to the trains, which will be tested Monday, he said.

"The test trains did run satisfactorily. The engineers believe they've found the cause," he told BBC television.

The weather conditions in northern France "caused snow to be ingested into the trains in a way that's never happened before... This is a fault we had never seen before," he said.

"We're carrying our the modifications and I sincerely hope when we test those modifications in live service on these test trains, they will work satisfactorily and we'll be able to resume service.

"We will be running test trains with the modifications on board to 100 percent check that they work.

"Our priority is to get trains back into service as soon as possible."
 

Date created : 2009-12-20

  • EUROSTAR

    Thousands hit by second day of Eurostar standstill

    Read more

COMMENT(S)