Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa university ends teaching in Afrikaans after protests

Read more

#TECH 24

Cyborg plants: Half-robot, half-shrub

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Merkel's Europe: Open borders undermined by migrant crisis (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

State-sponsored doping? Russia and world athletics (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Newspaper industry: What outlook for the French press?

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

France: Turning wine into vinegar in the city of Orleans

Read more

ENCORE!

A portrait of two photographers: Karen Knorr and Tom Wood

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

USA: Jewish Americans' rocky relationship with Netanyahu

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Migration top of the agenda for African leaders

Read more

Business

Reports of assault on Wall Street conman Madoff denied

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-24

Wall Street conman Bernard Madoff was moved last week from the cell where he is serving a 150-year jail sentence to a hospital to be treated for hypertension, a US prison official said, denying reports of assault on the disgraced financier.

REUTERS - Disgraced financier Bernard Madoff is being treated for high blood pressure and dizziness, and was not hurt by another prisoner, a U.S. Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman said on Thursday.
 

"Bernie Madoff was not assaulted. He's being treated at the (Butner) federal medical center for dizziness and hypertension," said Bureau of Prisons spokeswoman Traci Billingsley.
 

A Raleigh, North Carolina television station reported on its website that Madoff was hospitalized late last week and treated for facial fractures, broken ribs and a collapsed lung. Citing unidentified sources, the station reported that Madoff's injuries were consistent with an assault.
 

Madoff, 71, was treated at Duke University hospital late last week, and was discharged earlier this week, the station reported.
 

Madoff is serving a 150-year sentence at Butner Federal Correctional Complex in North Carolina after pleading guilty to a $65 billion investment fraud that bilked thousands of investors worldwide.
 

Duke University Medical Center denied the television station's report.
 

"There's been no patient at our hospital with that name," said Debbe Geiger, a Duke University Medical Center spokeswoman. She declined to comment further.
 

Madoff's lawyer, Ira Sorkin, could not be reached for comment.
 

On Wednesday, the prisons bureau confirmed Madoff had been moved to the prison's medical facility for undisclosed reasons last week.
 

There has been frequent scrutiny of Madoff's health.
 

In late August, the New York Post reported Madoff was diagnosed with cancer and was terminally ill, but prison officials denied the published report.

Date created : 2009-12-24

COMMENT(S)