Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Alpha Condé reacts to Dadis Camara's bid to return home

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'We need an American in every train compartment'

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

When China Sneezes: World markets rattled by bubble burst (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Desperate to get to Europe: How to handle migrant surge? (part 1)

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Behind the scenes of France's National Assembly

Read more

#TECH 24

Saving water, one shower at a time

Read more

FOCUS

Katrina, ten years on: Young survivors still grapple with trauma

Read more

ENCORE!

Has New Orleans got its groove back?

Read more

REPORTERS

Meet the French troops hunting jihadists in Sahel

Read more

Africa

Plane bomb suspect moved to federal prison amid heightened security

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-28

The Nigerian man accused of trying to blow up a Detroit-bound airplane on Friday was moved from a hospital, where he was treated for self-inflicted third degree burns caused by the attack, to a federal prison from the hospital.

AFP- A Nigerian man charged in the attempted bombing of a Detroit-bound Northwest Airline flight on Christmas day was moved from a hospital to a federal prison, his lawyer said Sunday.
 
Attorney Miriam Siefer told Channel 7 television in Detroit that the suspect, Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, has apparently not been allowed to speak with anybody, including his family, since his detention on Friday.
 
Abdulmutallab was arraigned Saturday at the University of Michigan Medical Center, where he was being treated for burns sustained while trying to bring down Northwest Airline's Flight 253 by detonating explosives sewn into his underwear. Citing unidentified sources, CNN reported that the explosives he is accused of carrying abroad were strong enough to destroy the jumbo jet.
 
Siefer said Abdulmutallab, who sustained burns during his bombing attempt, was transferred from the hospital located in Ann Arbor, near Detroit, to a federal prison in the town of Milan, some 15 miles (24 kilometers) to the south.
 
The lawyer said a hearing is scheduled for Monday in a US district court in Detroit to address a request by US authorities of a DNA sample from Abdulmutallab. She said that her client is not expected to attend.
 
Airline passengers face heavy delays and tightened secutiry following the botched attack. The US Transportation Security Administration (TSA) said US-bound, international travelers should expect tougher screening measures, including pat-downs and bag searches.
 
US investigators are trying to piece together any terrorism connections of 23-year-old Abdulmutallab, who reportedly confessed that he had been trained by Al-Qaeda in Yemen

 

Date created : 2009-12-28

  • USA

    'Non serious incident' on Sunday Amsterdam-Detroit flight sparks alarm after bomb scare

    Read more

  • EUROPE

    US-bound aeroplane security tightened after bomb attempt

    Read more

  • USA

    No evidence bomb suspect was part of "larger" plot, says US official

    Read more

COMMENT(S)