Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Inger Andersen, Vice President for the Middle East and North Africa, The World Bank

Read more

FOCUS

Scottish referendum: Should I stay or should I go?

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Paris conference: A coalition against the Islamic State group

Read more

ENCORE!

Encore's Film Show: Spies, doppelgangers and gay rights activists

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Salmond's 'emotional eve-of poll plea to Scots to seize their historic opportunity'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Nick Witney, Senior Policy Fellow, European Council on Foreign Relations

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Valls is starting to act like Hollande'

Read more

WEB NEWS

Wikileaks releases 'weaponized malware' customer list

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Ukraine politician thrown on rubbish heap

Read more

Africa

'Nothing more to be done' for injured Junta leader, says govt source

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-30

Guinea's interim leader General Sekouba Konate visited junta chief Captain Moussa Dadis Camara in the Moroccan hospital Tuesday, saying afterward that there was "nothing more to be done" for the latter following treatment for a headshot wound.

AFP - Guinea's interim leader General Sekouba Konate visited the country's injured junta chief in Morocco Tuesday and afterwards said Captain Moussa Dadis Camara did not appear aware of his surroundings, a junta source told AFP.
  
Konate visited Camara for the first time in the Moroccan hospital where he is being treated after being shot in the head by his aide de camp on December 3.
  
The interim leader made no official comment after meeting Camara but according to a source close to the junta, Konate said: "Dadis was not aware of what was happening around him."
  
Konate also said of the wounded junta leader there was "nothing more to be done for him," according to the junta source, who requested anonymity.
  
Camara's condition since being shot has been a source of much speculation.
  
Guinea's official media has reported that Camara is recovering and will return to the west African country as soon as possible. Camara himself has not made any public statements or appearances since the attack.
  
Konate, also defence minister, had several times postponed the visit to Morocco, where Camara was flown for medical care after being shot by his aide de camp, Lieutenant Aboubacar Sidiki Diakite, who is now in hiding.
  
Konate took charge of Guinea after Camara was wounded, which was more than two months after junta soldiers killed scores of opposition protesters in a massacre that has drawn fierce international criticism.
  
Human rights groups and the United Nations put the death toll at the Conakry stadium opposition rally at more than 150, with hundreds injured, including women who were raped by troops.
  
Guinea has been suspended from the regional Economic Community of West African States and has lost development aid from the European Union.
  
Camara came to power on December 23 last year within hours of the death of longtime strongman Lansana Conte, a former general who had ruled the country since 1984.
 

Date created : 2009-12-30

  • GUINEA CONAKRY

    Interim leader visits wounded junta chief Camara

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Stadium massacre a 'crime against humanity', says UN

    Read more

COMMENT(S)