Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Robert Mugabe resigns, celebrations erupt in the streets of Harare

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Zimbabwe's end of an era

Read more

FOCUS

Video: An uncertain fate for US's transgender soldiers

Read more

THE DEBATE

Enslaved in Libya:

Read more

ENCORE!

Seal on his new album 'Standards' and why he doesn't like texting

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'The End of German Stability'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Bad news for Merkel is bad news for Europe'

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Zimbabwean MPs set to start impeachment proceedings against Mugabe

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US government sues to block AT&T-Time Warner merger

Read more

Asia-pacific

Four Canadian soldiers and a journalist are killed by bomb

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2009-12-31

Four Canadian soldiers and a Canadian journalist have been killed after their armored vehicle was hit by a bomb in southern Kandahar province.

AFP - Five Canadians -- four soldiers and a journalist -- were killed Tuesday in Afghanistan by a bomb that exploded as their armored vehicle passed by, a Canadian general announced Wednesday.

General Daniel Menard, the head of Canadian forces in Afghanistan, announced the deaths on Canadian television without naming the victims.

Public television station CBC identified the journalist killed as Michelle Lang, a reporter with the Calgary Herald, who was on her first trip to Afghanistan and was the first Canadian reporter to die in the country's conflict.

"Yesterday Canada lost five citizens," Menard said. "Four soldiers and one journalist were killed as a result of an improvised explosive device attack on their armored vehicle during a community patrol in Kandahar City."

Menard said a Canadian civilian official was also injured in attack.

The soldiers were patrolling "to gather information on the pattern of life and maintain security in the area," he said.

"The journalist was travelling with them to tell the story of what Canada's soldiers are doing in Afghanistan," he said.

"On behalf of all the soldiers, airmen, sailors and special operators of Joint Task Force Afghanistan I offer our sincere condolences to the families and friends of our fallen," he said.

Canada's Prime Minister Stephen Harper also offered his condolences to the families of the Canadian soldiers who he said had "paid the ultimate price while courageously serving their country."

"Their sacrifice will not be forgotten," he said.

"Also fallen is a brave reporter, Michelle Lang, who lost her life reporting on the invaluable work being done by Canadian soldiers, aid workers and diplomats in Afghanistan," he added.

"While not regularly the subject of news, those journalists who risk their lives reporting alongside the men and women of the Canadian Forces in one of the most dangerous regions in the world should not be forgotten."

The deaths, which raised to 138 the number of Canadian soldiers killed in Afghanistan, came just hours before a suicide attack that killed eight US civilians at a military base in eastern Afghanistan.

Canada has some 2,800 troops deployed in the Kandahar region, a Taliban stronghold in southern Afghanistan. They are supposed to return home in 2011.

Date created : 2009-12-31

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Eight US civilians killed in suicide blast 'were CIA agents'

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Civilian deaths up 10 percent over last year, UN report says

    Read more

COMMENT(S)