Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

France's Plan to Tackle Racism

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Marine Le Pen and Thomas Piketty in Time magazine's power list; EU takes on Google; Gunter Grass dies (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deadly Crossing: Migrants desperate to reach Europe; Abadi in Washington (part 1)

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Xenophobic attacks in South Africa: anti-violence marches and anti immigration protest

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

French PM outlines action plan against racism, anti-Semitism

Read more

REPORTERS

Turkey’s hidden Armenians search for stolen identity

Read more

REVISITED

Families of slain Marikana miners still demanding justice

Read more

#TECH 24

Europe vs. Google: EU accuses search giant of market dominance abuse

Read more

#THE 51%

Women in America: Land of the free, home to the less-paid

Read more

Asia-pacific

Police arrest suspect in Hong Kong acid attack

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-01-10

Police in Hong Kong have arrested a man believed to have hurled bottles of acid into a crowd, injuring 30 people. The attack is the latest in a series of similar incidents that have plagued the city since late 2008.

AFP - Hong Kong police have arrested a man following an acid attack that left 30 people injured, police said Sunday, the latest in a string of similar incidents that have terrorised the city.

The suspect, who is ethnic Chinese and in his 30s, was taken into custody after police spotted him on the rooftop of a building next to the scene of Saturday night's attack, a police spokesman said.

"A man has been arrested in connection with this case," he told AFP.

Police also found bottles believed to contain acid that was hurled onto the busy Temple Street night market, a pedestrian shopping district frequented by tourists, he said.

Among the injured were nine tourists and a seven-year-old, the spokesman confirmed.

All the victims have since been treated in hospital and released.

Police would not say if the man taken into custody is connected to five previous acid attacks in Hong Kong since late 2008.

"That is now being investigated but we can't say if he is connected to the other cases," the spokesman said.

Three attacks took place in densely populated Mong Kok, a shopping district near the scene of Saturday night's attack.

Last month six people were injured when a bottle of acid was hurled down a street in Causeway Bay, another shopping hub which was packed with people celebrating the Hong Kong football team's victory over Japan in the East Asian Games final.
 

Date created : 2010-01-10

COMMENT(S)