Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

#Ferguson

Read more

DEBATE

After Ferguson: What's Broken in America? (part 2)

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Tunisia’s Essebsi ‘personifies old regime’, says opponent Marzouki

Read more

DEBATE

After Ferguson: What's Broken in America?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

David Nabarro, UN special envoy on Ebola

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Tunisia’s Essebsi says ready to form pluralist govt

Read more

WEB NEWS

USA: online reactions to the death of Tamir Rice

Read more

FOCUS

Working with offenders also key to ending domestic violence

Read more

ENCORE!

Man Booker Prize Winner Eleanor Catton

Read more

Sports

Second guerilla group claims responsibility for Togo football team attack

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-01-12

A second separatist group on Tuesday claimed it was behind last week's deadly shooting on Togo's football team, saying it was targeting the Angolan military convoy, not the Togolese. A different guerilla group also claimed responsibility on Monday.

AFP - A second separatist group on Tuesday claimed it was behind last week's deadly shooting on the Togolese football team in Angola's oil-rich enclave of Cabinda.


  
The attack has already been claimed by Rodrigues Mingas, head of the Forces for the Liberation of the State of Cabinda-Military Position (FLEC-PM), one of the many guerrilla groups battling for independence in the northern province.

But a larger group known as the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda-Armed Forces of Cabinda (FLEC-FAC) on Tuesday said they had opened fire on Togo's convoy on Friday, killing two of the squad.

"We are not terrorists, the attack did not target our Togolese brothers," said Jean-Claude N'Zita, who leads FLEC-FAC, adding the intended target was the team's Angolan military escorts.

"Every time the Armed Forces of Cabinda sees an Angolan convoy, they open fire," he said.

N'Zita dismissed Mingas's faction as "opportunists".

Date created : 2010-01-12

  • AFRICA CUP OF NATIONS

    Togo recalls team after fatal attack on bus, govt tells FRANCE 24

    Read more

  • Full coverage of the Africa Cup of Nations

    Read more

COMMENT(S)