US author J.D Salinger died at the age of 91 Thursday, at his home in New Hampshire. Salinger's "The Catcher in the Rye", and its hostile protagonist Holden Caulfield, brought him worldwide literary acclaim.
- New Year's Day, 1918 Jerome David Salinger is born in Manhattan, New York.
- 1940 Salinger's debut story, "The Young Ones" is published by "Story" magazine.
- 1942 Salinger is drafted to fight in World War II.
- 1951 "The Catcher in the Rye" is published.
- 1953 Salinger moves to Cornish, New Hampshire, where he begins to slink away from the public eye.
- 1955 Salinger marries Claire Douglas, with whom he has two children.
- 1997 Salinger's last published work, "Hapsworth 16: 1924", is announced to be released in book form, but the release date is endlessly pushed back.
- January 28, 2010 Salinger dies at his home in New Hampshire at the age of 91.
Date created : 2010-01-28