Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Mozambique: top constitutional lawyer killed in Maputo

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Online reactions to Netanyahu’s speech to Congress

Read more

DEBATE

Netanyahu on Capitol Hill: Israeli PM calls for deal breaker with Iran (part two)

Read more

DEBATE

Netanyahu on Capitol Hill: Israeli PM calls for deal breaker with Iran

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Tangerine Dream. Afropolitan star Yemi Alade drops in

Read more

FOCUS

Denmark: How to stop the radicalisation of young people?

Read more

ENCORE!

'Deep Down Dark': Telling the story of the 33 trapped Chilean miners

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Hong Kong's umbrella revolution 'is not dead'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Media reactions to Boris Nemtsov's murder

Read more

Africa

Teenage girl found alive in rubble 15 days after quake

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-02-10

A French rescue team pulled a 16-year-old Haitian girl alive from under rubble in Port-au-Prince, 15 days after the devastating January 12 earthquake.

A French rescue team on Wednesday pulled a 16-year-old Haitian girl alive from under the rubble in Port-au-Prince, 15 days after the devastating January 12 earthquake, they said.
  


"She just said 'thank you,' she's very weak, which suggests that she's been there for 15 days," rescue team spokesman Commander Samuel Bernes told AFP.
  
"She was in a pocket surrounded by concrete, completely dehydrated," he added.
  
"She was treated on the spot, she wasn't able to get out alone," said Bernes, explaining that neighbors had been searching in the rubble of their home in the central Carrefour-Feuilles district when they heard a voice.
  


Some 135 people have been pulled alive from the ruins in Port-au-Prince since the 7.0-magnitude earthquake, which devastated much of the capital in the worst recorded disaster to hit the Americas.
  
US troops on Wednesday pulled a 31-year-old man from the rubble, although he may have been buried by a building that collapsed after the earthquake, which is estimated to have killed 170,000.
  
On Saturday, search teams pulled a 25-year-old man out alive after 11 days under the rubble. He had been trapped in a grocer's shop and had been able to grab a small amount of food and drink to keep himself alive.
  

Date created : 2010-01-28

  • HAITI

    Rescue of survivor two weeks after quake stuns aid workers

    Read more

  • HAITI EARTHQUAKE

    Haitian government pledges to lead reconstruction effort

    Read more

  • HAITI EARTHQUAKE

    First-hand accounts from our correspondents in Port-au-Prince

    Read more

COMMENT(S)