Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

A landslide victory for the 'invisible candidate' in Algeria's Presidential polls

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 18 April 2014

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 18 April 2014 (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Presidential adviser resigns over "shoe-shine scandal"

Read more

#THE 51%

Breaking stereotypes

Read more

#TECH 24

Galaxy S5 v. HTC One (M8): Which is the right one for you?

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

New PM Manuel Valls outlines priorities

Read more

FASHION

Jean-Marc Loubier, bags and shoes.

Read more

ENCORE!

Hip-hop musician Beat Assailant on mixing the sounds of the city

Read more

  • LIVE: French journalists arrive home after Syria ordeal

    Read more

  • French journalist tells of release from captivity in Syria

    Read more

  • Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken South Korean ferry

    Read more

  • Scores killed in South Sudan cattle raid

    Read more

  • PSG clinch fourth League Cup title after beating Lyon

    Read more

  • Le Pen’s National Front fail to woo Britain’s Eurosceptics

    Read more

  • In pictures: French kite festival takes flight

    Read more

  • VIDEO: Anti-Semitic leaflets in Eastern Ukraine condemned

    Read more

  • In pictures: Good Friday celebrated across the globe

    Read more

  • Bouteflika, the ghost president

    Read more

  • Does Valls’ upcoming Vatican trip violate French secularism?

    Read more

  • Ukraine separatists say ‘not bound’ by Geneva deal

    Read more

  • Abel Ferrara’s hotly awaited DSK film to premiere on web

    Read more

  • Obama signs bill to block controversial Iran diplomat from UN post

    Read more

  • Ukraine: ‘One bloody incident could scupper Geneva deal’

    Read more

  • Astronomers discover Earth-like planet that could support life

    Read more

  • Indian election: Votes for sale

    Read more

  • World honours Garcia Marquez’s magical literary legacy

    Read more

  • In pictures: Iranian woman pardons son’s killer at the gallows

    Read more

  • Algeria's ailing Bouteflika clinches fourth term amid fraud claims

    Read more

  • Top Hollande adviser resigns over conflict of interest accusation

    Read more

  • West African Ebola outbreak caused by new strain of virus

    Read more

Asia-pacific

12 Taliban fighters killed in major NATO offensive

©

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-02-15

12 Taliban fighters have been killed by NATO and Afghan forces in the latest stage of the offensive against the insurgent group in Helmand province. Earlier, NATO had been forced to apologise after 12 civilians were accidently killed by NATO forces.

REUTERS - Twelve Taliban fighters were killed overnight in a NATO offensive against the group’s last stronghold in Afghanistan’s most violent province, a government official said.

The assault, one of NATO’s biggest against the Taliban since the Afghan war began in 2001, is the first test of U.S.  President Barack Obama’s plan to send 30,000 more troops to seize insurgent-held areas ahead of a planned 2011 troop drawdown.

“There were bombardments in parts of Marjah and as a result 12 Taliban have been killed,” Dawud Ahmadi, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Helmand, told reporters.


The United States’ top military officer on Sunday said the assault on the Taliban stronghold of Marjah in Afghanistan’s Helmand province had got “off to a good start”.

“It’s actually very difficult to predict (the end),” Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the U.S. Joint Chiefs of Staff, told reporters during a visit to Israel. “We have from a planning standpoint talked about a few weeks, but I don’t know that.”

The attack started on Saturday with waves of helicopters ferrying troops into Marjah and the nearby Nad Ali district.  The next day, U.S. Marines came under intense fire in the heart of Marjah.

NATO rockets killed 12 Afghan civilians on Sunday in the second day of an offensive designed to impose Afghan authority on one of the last big Taliban strongholds in the country’s most violent province.

The offensive has been flagged for weeks, to persuade Taliban fighters to leave so the area can be recaptured with minimal damage or loss of civilian life, in the hope that the roughly 100,000 people there will welcome the Afghan administration.
 

Date created : 2010-02-15

  • AFGHANISTAN

    NATO hails first phase of offensive as success

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    NATO confirms civilian deaths in Helmand offensive

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    Allies launch major offensive against Taliban stronghold

    Read more

Comments

COMMENT(S)