Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Politics: parties under pressure

Read more

REPORTERS

Inside the CIA’s secret prisons

Read more

FOCUS

In Burma, the rise of radical Buddhism

Read more

ENCORE!

Haute Couture: the hand-stitched clothing made in Paris that sells for the price of small yachts

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Caution, another Cast Lead lies ahead'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Rising into the ranks of Haute Couture

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: How to Stop the Spiral? Israel Readies For Ground Offensive

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: How to Stop the Spiral? Israel Readies For Ground Offensive (part 2)

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

A thin line between fact-checking and propaganda in Gaza social media coverage

Read more

  • Inside the CIA’s secret prisons

    Read more

  • Are French high school students getting smarter?

    Read more

  • Disgraced Suarez leaves Liverpool for Barcelona

    Read more

  • French ‘Civic Service’ eyes massive expansion amid huge demand

    Read more

  • Kurdish forces take over two oilfields in northern Iraq

    Read more

  • Amazon snubs French free delivery ban with one-cent charge

    Read more

  • In Pictures: Petrol station hit by Hamas rockets

    Read more

  • Manhunt as FIFA partner flees Rio hotel to avoid arrest

    Read more

  • Video: Living in Tel Aviv, under threat of rocket attack

    Read more

  • Video: Palestinians fear full Israeli military offensive in Gaza

    Read more

  • US prepared to negotiate Gaza ceasefire, Obama says

    Read more

  • French companies will have to accept anonymous CVs

    Read more

  • Ukrainian forces close in on Donetsk

    Read more

  • Germany asks US intelligence station chief to leave country

    Read more

  • Tour de France passes WWI Chemin des Dames battlefield

    Read more

Americas

Afghan suspect admits New York bomb plot

©

Video by Gaëlle Faure

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-02-23

Afghan immigrant Najibullah Zazi (pictured), has pleaded guilty at a federal court in New York to attempting to blow up New York City's subway system in protest against the war in Afghanistan. He admitted receiving training from al Qaeda.

AFP - An Afghan immigrant and self-confessed Al-Qaeda agent, Najibullah Zazi, pleaded guilty Monday to attempting to blow up New York's subway system in protest against the war in Afghanistan.
  
Zazi, 25, pleaded guilty to three charges: conspiracy to use weapons of mass destruction, conspiracy to commit murder in a foreign country, and providing material support to the Al-Qaeda Islamist network.
  
He told the federal court in Brooklyn that his plans to blow up New York targets just after the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks included "mortal operations" in the underground train system.
  
US Attorney General Eric Holder, describing the plot as one of the most "serious" terrorist threats since September 11, 2001, hailed the guilty plea as evidence that the civilian court system was an appropriate forum to prosecute suspected terrorists.
  
At a press conference after the plea was announced, he criticized those who "denigrate" the civilian justice system because they oppose a plan to try the alleged 9/11 plotters attack before US courts.
  
"In this case as it has been in so many other ones, the criminal justice system has proved to be an invaluable weapon for incapacitating plots and obtaining intelligence," he said.
  
"To denigrate the use of this tool flies in the face of the facts, flies in the face of the history of this tool, it's more about politics."
  
Zazi, a legal US resident who previously had claimed to be innocent, said he was ready to "sacrifice" himself "to draw the attention to what the United States is doing in Afghanistan."
  
He faces a maximum sentence of life in prison for the first two charges and 15 years for the third. However, his plea appears to be part of a bargain in which he could receive more lenient punishment in return for cooperating with investigators.
  
Sentencing was scheduled for June 25.
  
"This was one of the most serious terrorist threats to our nation since September 11th, 2001," Holder said. "It could have been devastating."
  
Zazi was arrested September 20 in Denver, where he worked as an airport shuttle bus driver. After being brought to New York, he initially pleaded not guilty to the alleged attempt to cause carnage in the city.
  
But Monday's guilty plea confirms allegations made by US prosecutors, who described Zazi as an Al-Qaeda-linked militant attempting to use "weapons of mass destruction" here.
  
Prosecutors outlined how Zazi and others traveled to Afghanistan in August 2008 with the intention of joining the Taliban. Instead, they were recruited by Al-Qaeda in Peshawar, Pakistan, and trained to use weapons and explosives.
  
"During the training, Al-Qaeda leaders asked Zazi and others to return to the United States and conduct suicide operations. They agreed," the Department of Justice said in a statement Monday.
  
Returning to Colorado, he shopped for large quantities of beauty supply chemicals to concoct explosives in a hotel room, before driving to New York.
  
Zazi was intending to set off bombs either on September 14, 15 or 16, 2009, the Department of Justice says.
  
But he left after receiving a tip-off that he was being watched by federal agents.
  
He admitted in court Monday that "I also took trips to New York city to plan" the attacks. However, he said that instead of carrying out the plot, "we threw away the explosive material."
  
Zazi's father, Mohammed Walis Zazi, who is charged with conspiring to destroy evidence in the case, was freed on bail last week.
  
The elder Zazi had been indicted by a grand jury in New York with obstruction of justice.
  
Zazi "did knowingly and intentionally conspire to corruptly alter, destroy, mutilate and conceal objects, to wit: glasses, masks, liquid chemicals and containers, with the intent to impair the objects' integrity and availability for use," the indictment said.
  
A New York imam accused of lying to the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) about the case also is free on bail.
  
Two other New York men were arrested in January and named as associates of Zazi.
  
The Justice Department said they were continuing to investigate the case, but that there was no imminent danger from the plot.
  
"I think that the American people are safe with regards to this plot and the investigation is nevertheless ongoing," Holder said.
  
"We will continue to work around the clock hoping to bring others involved to justice and to obtain intelligence."

Date created : 2010-02-23

Comments

COMMENT(S)