Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Burma should give access to investigators, says UN high commissioner for human rights

Read more

FOCUS

Rohingya crisis: Monks with an ultranationalist agenda

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

French Senate: retirement club for old politicians?

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Mexico hit by another deadly earthquake

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

US Federal Reserve ends historic QE program

Read more

ENCORE!

This week’s not-to-miss exhibitions

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Rogues aplenty at UN General Assembly

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Mexico City’s earthquake, Catalonia’s independence struggle and Senegal’s charcoal-making women

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The French protest again and some Viking warriors were women

Read more

Europe

Three Google executives sentenced over ‘happy slap’ video

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2010-02-25

Internet giant Google has vowed to appeal an Italian court’s decision to hand down suspended sentences to three of its executives over a video posted on Google Videos showing a Down’s syndrome teenager being bullied.

An Italian court on Wednesday convicted three senior Google Italy executives over a “happy slap” video showing a Down's syndrome teenager being bullied that was posted on the Google Videos site.

The video was uploaded to the company’s website in 2006 and remained online for two months.

It showed four schoolchildren bullying the teenager with Down's syndrome in front of more than a dozen others who did not intervene.

The bullies were suspended from their school in Turin, northern Italy, after teachers and police witnessed their antics on the website.

The victim’s family dropped a lawsuit against Google at the end of last year, but Down's syndrome advocacy group Vivi Down and the city of Milan remained as civil plaintiffs.

“Reprehensible”

Google Senior Vice-President David Drummond, former Italy board member George De Los Reyes and Google’s Chief Privacy Counsel Peter Fleischer were each given six-month suspended sentences for violation of privacy.

A fourth executive was acquitted, while all four were acquitted on a charge of defamation.

Google, which will appeal the Milan court’s ruling, objected to its employees being held criminally responsible, even after the video was taken down immediately after the authorities demanded its removal.

In a statement posted on its official blog (googleblog.blogspot.com) after the ruling, Google said: "The video was totally reprehensible and we took it down within hours of being notified by the Italian police."

But it added: "European Union law was drafted specifically to give hosting providers a safe harbour from liability so long as they remove illegal content once they are notified of its existence."

Date created : 2010-02-24

  • INTERNET

    EU targets Google in anti-competition probe

    Read more

  • TECHNOLOGY

    Microsoft challenges Google's Android with upgraded mobile platform

    Read more

  • INTERNET

    US Department of Justice opposes revised Google book deal

    Read more

COMMENT(S)