Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Kerry calls for 'coalition of nations' to battle IS militants

    Read more

  • EU leaders meet in Brussels to seek a response to Russia

    Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • IMF stands behind Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' against IS militants in Syria

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass three million, UN says

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

Americas

In new cover-up claim, letters show Pope hesitated to defrock abusive priest

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-04-10

According to a 1985 letter, Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger – the future Pope Benedict XVI – delayed the defrocking of an American priest found guilty of molesting children, advising “patience” for the “good of the universal church”.

REUTERS - Pope Benedict, in a previous post as a high Vatican official, recommended caution in the defrocking of a California Roman Catholic priest who pleaded guilty to molesting children, according to a letter released on Friday by lawyers for the victims.

In the 1985 letter, typed in Latin and translated for The Associated Press, then-Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger told the bishop of Oakland he needed more time "to consider the good of the Universal Church" as he reviewed a request to remove the priest.

The letter surfaced as the Vatican fights accusations that the pope mishandled cases of abuse when when he was a bishop in Germany and a Vatican official before his election in 2005.

Ratzinger wrote in the letter that arguments to remove the priest were of "grave significance," but also worried about what "granting the dispensation can provoke with the community of Christ's faithful, particularly regarding the young age of the petitioner."

According to The Associated Press, which broke the story, the Rev. Stephen Miller Kiesle was 38 at the time and had been sentenced in 1978 to three years' probation after pleading guilty to misdemeanor charges of lewd conduct for tying up and molesting two young boys in a church rectory.

According to a letter from the Diocese of Oakland to Ratzinger in 1981, Kiesle had asked to leave the active ministry and the diocese asked Ratzinger to agree that he be "relieved of all the obligations of the priesthood, including celibacy."

'This is unfortunate'

Michael Brown, a spokesman for the diocese did not comment on the letters, but said, "I think factually it (the record) shows the diocese did the right things in 1978, and in 1987 he was removed from the priesthood."

Asked about reports about the documents, the Vatican's deputy spokesman, the Rev. Ciro Benedettini, told Reuters, "Then-Cardinal Ratzinger did not cover up the case but wanted it studied with greater attention for the good of all persons involved."

He declined further comment.

The documents released to Reuters by victims' attorney Jeff Anderson show long delays in responses, the loss of documents at the Vatican and exasperation at the Oakland Diocese.

After Ratzinger's reply, priest George Mockel wrote to Bishop John Cummins: "My own reading of this letter is that basically they are going to sit on it until Steve gets quite a bit older. My own feeling is that this is unfortunate."

"What these documents demonstrate irrefutably is that Cardinal Ratzinger himself, in his own hand, not only delayed the removal of this priest but chose to protect the reputation of the church over well-being of the children," Anderson said.

Anderson said the documents did not come to light earlier because lawyers were focused on suing the diocese, not the Vatican.

"The Vatican was only marginally on our radar in terms of what we could do and what we could ask," he said.

The victims advocacy group SNAP, Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, said it expected more documents to emerge that link Pope Benedict to poor handling of priest abuse cases.

"We strongly suspect that there are more damning documents like this proving that Ratzinger sided with predator priests over vulnerable kids," said Joelle Casteix, SNAP's western director.
 

Date created : 2010-04-10

COMMENT(S)