Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Trump's Jerusalem move angers Muslim world; Brexit: Irish force compromise on border

Read more

REPORTERS

Migrants: Caught in the fire between Libya and Italy

Read more

REVISITED

Video: Tahrir Square, a melting pot for Egyptian revolutions

Read more

FASHION

Mens fashion: ‘The flowers are starting to bloom’

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Lyon's Fête des Lumières: From candles to extraordinary light shows

Read more

#TECH 24

A glimpse into the hotels of the future

Read more

ENCORE!

'Whose Streets?': On the frontline of Ferguson

Read more

FOCUS

Marine pollution around Dakar reaches critical levels

Read more

#THE 51%

Talking about a revolution: #Metoo campaign is TIME magazine’s Person of the Year

Read more

Europe

Security forces kill metro bombing suspects

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-05-13

Russian security forces have shot dead three people suspected of helping organise the Moscow metro suicide bombings that killed 40 people in March, the agency's chief said, adding the three had to be "destroyed" after a "fierce armed resistance".

AFP - The Russian security forces have killed three people suspected of organising the suicide bombings in the Moscow metro after they resisted arrest, the head of the FSB security service said Thursday.
   
Security forces attempted to detain the three, who included the individuals who accompanied the suicide bombers to Moscow, the chief of the Federal Security Service (FSB), Alexander Bortnikov, told President Dmitry Medvedev.
   
"Unfortunately we were not able to detain them alive. They offered fierce armed resistance and were destroyed," Bortnikov said, without specifying when or where the killings took place.
   
Medvedev replied that the security forces should kill militants who showed resistance.
   
"Destroy those who show resistance. Show no mercy," said the Russian president.
   
Last month, Bortnikov said that all the organisers and executors of the Moscow bombings had been identified, in televised comments, although he did not name them.
   
He said that the security forces were now actively seeking the other members of the criminal group behind the Moscow bombings who remained at large.
   
"Today there is an active search for the other members of the group. We know who they are," he added.
   
Two female suicide bombers, both from the North Caucasus region of Dagestan, struck the Moscow metro on March 29, killing 40 people in a pair of coordinated attacks.
   
Russian investigators have named the bombers as Mariam Sharipova, born in 1982, the wife of an Islamist fighter, and 17-year-old Dzhennet Abdurakhmanova, whose rebel husband had been killed by Russian security forces.
   
An Islamist group based in the North Caucasus, the so-called "Caucasus Emirate" led by Chechen rebel chief Doku Umarov, claimed responsibility for the attacks.

Date created : 2010-05-13

  • RUSSIA

    Medvedev vows to act 'without compromise' after Moscow metro blasts

    Read more

  • RUSSIA

    Deadly explosions rock Moscow metro stations

    Read more

COMMENT(S)