Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FRANCE IN FOCUS

France: 2014 in review

Read more

#THE 51%

South Africa: Taking a stand against child marriage

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

DEBATE

The Future of the Book (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

France 24’s best documentaries of 2014

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Uruguay: freed Guantanamo detainees try to adjust to normal life

Read more

Africa

Accused tourist killers say they are 'al Qaeda soldiers'

Video by William EDWARDS

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-05-24

Three men accused of killing three French tourists in Mauritania back in 2007 deny the charges but nevertheless told a court they considered themselves to be al Qaeda warriors at the opening of their trail on Sunday.

AFP - Three men accused of killing four French tourists in Mauritania in 2007 told the start of their trial on Sunday that they considered themselves Al-Qaeda warriors.

"I am a soldier of Al-Qaeda, I say it with pride. I have been trained in their camps," Sidi Ould Sidna, one of the three defendants, told the trial in the Mauritanian capital.

"I did not kill them but I confess that it would have been a great honour if I had carried it out," said another, Ould Maarouf Ould Haiba.

Along with Mohamed Ould Chabarnou, they entered pleas of not guilty of shooting five French tourists on December 24 2007 near the city of Aleg in southern Mauritania. Four died and the fifth was seriously wounded.

Security was tight in Nouakchott as the court opened its proceedings, with police blocking off streets in the city centre.

Sidi Ould Sidna and Mohamed Ould Chabarnou were arrested in January 2008 in the West African country of Guinea-Bissau with the help of French intelligence.

Maarouf Ould Haiba was detained shortly after in the Mauritanian capital of Nouakchott.

 



All three Mauritanians were suspected of belonging to Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, which has claimed a series of attacks and kidnappings in North Africa.

Nine other people are on trial for complicity in the killings. Two of the 12 are on the run and were being tried in absentia.

On Sunday morning, the same court sentenced a man charged with links to Al-Qaeda's North African wing to 10 years in prison.

Dahoud Ould Setti, who was also fined 731 euros (918 dollars), was accused of "creating his own terrorist organisation" and having been "in contact with the local branch of AQIM (Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb)" in Mauritania.

Police arrested Setti in June 2008 after he had been on the run for a long period. He pleaded not guilty in his trial.

 

Date created : 2010-05-23

  • MAURITANIA

    Man linked to al Qaeda murders of French tourists gets six years

    Read more

  • MAURITANIA

    Court begins trial of Qaeda-linked suspects

    Read more

COMMENT(S)