Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

YOU ARE HERE

Admiring the gardens of tomorrow in France's Loire valley

Read more

FASHION

French fashion legend Pierre Cardin celebrates 70 years of design

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is Boris Johnson Britain's most undiplomatic chief diplomat?

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Paris pollution: 'Tomorrow we stop breathing'

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Greece hands out Christmas bonuses

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

New HIV vaccine under trial in South Africa

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Vote count under way in Ghana after tight presidential poll

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Cameroon: Several killed in clashes with police in Anglophone region

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Polish Christmas video goes viral

Read more

Middle east

Israel to carry out own probe into deadly flotilla raid

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-06-07

Israeli Defence Minister Ehud Barak announced Monday that Israel will undertake its own investigation into last week's deadly raid on a Gaza-bound aid flotilla, one day after rejecting a UN proposal for an international probe.

 
REUTERS - Israel said on Monday it would carry out its own investigation into last week's deadly raid on a Gaza aid flotilla, after turning down a U.N. proposal for an international probe.
 
Speaking in parliament in response to a no-confidence motion introduced by opposition parties over the May 31 raid, Defence Minister Ehud Barak said Israel would examine ways to minimise friction in enforcing its blockade of Hamas-ruled Gaza.
 
Israeli troops shot dead nine Turks during the raid on a Gaza-bound flotilla. They say they were responding in self-defence to protesters wielding knives and clubs.
 
Israel turned down on Sunday a proposal by U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for an international investigation headed by former New Zealand prime minister Geoffrey Palmer and including Turkish, Israeli and U.S. representatives.
 
"We intend to achieve an investigation of the events," Barak said, without giving details about the format of the probe.
 
 
Barak said the probe would be in addition to a separate military investigation, and that it would seek to establish whether Israel's four-year blockade of Gaza and its raid "met with the standards of international law".
 
"We will draw lessons at the political level, (and) in the security establishment," Barak said.
 
"Since the event we have heard and read mountains of talk and questions and without a doubt in the coming months we shall discuss lessons ... perhaps additional ways to achieve the same goals of the blockade, by reducing as far as possible the potential for friction," he added.

Date created : 2010-06-07

  • GAZA STRIP

    Israeli patrol kills four Palestinians off Gaza coast

    Read more

  • ISRAEL

    Israel resists calls for independent probe into deadly raid

    Read more

  • MIDDLE EAST

    Iranian Red Crescent to challenge Gaza blockade with aid ships

    Read more

COMMENT(S)