Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Towards a "Third Intifada"?

Read more

FOCUS

What solutions for California's overcrowded prisons?

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Gaza conflict: Palestinians mark sombre Eid

Read more

WEB NEWS

Celebrities in the Israel-Gaza crossfire

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Israeli strike takes out Gaza power station

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

French newspaper apologises for Sarkozy story

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Last-ditch talks aim to avert Argentina default

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's Plan for Putin: Will Russian Leader Bend After New Sanctions? (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's Plan for Putin: Will Russian Leader Bend After New Sanctions?

Read more

  • Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

  • Israel announces four-hour truce after deadly strike on UN school

    Read more

  • US rebounds to 4% growth in second quarter

    Read more

  • Fourth female suicide bomber targets Nigerian city

    Read more

  • Suspect in Jewish Museum attack charged with 'terrorist' murder

    Read more

  • Women should not laugh in public, Turkey's deputy PM says

    Read more

  • Video: Coping with rocket attacks in Israel’s Sderot

    Read more

  • Rats on the rampage at Louvre museum gardens

    Read more

  • France evacuates nationals, closes embassy in Libya

    Read more

  • Dozens killed in stampede at Guinea rap concert

    Read more

  • 'Compelling' signs Kosovo leaders trafficked organs, prosecutor says

    Read more

  • Graphic: Ebola spreads across West Africa

    Read more

  • Video: How tourism is helping Rwanda’s gorillas, ex-poachers

    Read more

  • Islamists seize key Benghazi army base as fire rages on

    Read more

  • In pictures: ن - a sign of support for Iraq’s persecuted Christians

    Read more

Americas

Fifty-five murdered bodies pulled from mine air shaft

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-06-08

At least 55 bodies have been removed from an airshaft near the entrance to a mine in the southern Mexican state of Guerrero, making it the country’s biggest mass grave. The state has been tormented by violence between drug gangs in recent years.

AFP - Fifty-five bodies were pulled out of a mine airshaft in southern Mexico that authorities say was used for dumping victims of drug-related violence, Guerrero officials said Monday.
   
The victims were found last week at the bottom of a 100-meter (300-foot) deep airshaft near the entrance to an abandoned mine in Guerrero state, officials said. Initially it was thought to contain about 25 bodies
   
"By Saturday night, the total number of bodies recovered from the airshaft was 55, so that concludes our work," Albertico Guinto Sierra, a spokesman for the local government, told reporters.
   
It was one of the biggest mass graves ever unearthed in Mexico, he said.
   
Bordering the Pacific Ocean, Guerrero is one of the Mexican states most affected by violence among drug trafficking gangs that, according to the government, has left over 22,700 dead throughout Mexico in the last three years.
   
Officials said only four bodies have been positively identified so far, including a state prison warden, strengthening suspicions the airshaft was used by drug gangs to dump the bodies of their victims.
   
Investigators said the bodies were likely thrown down the airshaft one to six months ago, and that it would take three or four weeks to identify most of the victims.
   
More than 50 families from around the country have turned up in Guerrero in the past week to find out if their missing relatives are among the bodies found in the airshaft, said Guinto.
   
He said police were searching for more bodies in 10 wells around the mine, after locals reported a strong stench in the surroundings.
   
Forty bodies have been deposited at the city morgue in Guerrero capital Chilpancingo, filling it to capacity, officials said. The rest of the human remains were taken to facilities in nearby cities.
   
Drug-related violence continued unabated in Mexico with six headless bodies found Sunday night, "in a half-hour period," in different parts of Gomez Palacio city, northern Durango state authorities reported Monday.
   
Two human heads of men 19-33 years of age were found the same night, the state's attorney general's office said in a statement. The four remaining heads were found on Monday.
   
None of the human remains have been identified so far, the statement added.

Date created : 2010-06-07

  • MEXICO

    Armed gang abducts seven people during hotel attacks

    Read more

  • MEXICO

    Police arrest 'King of Heroin' as drug war rages on

    Read more

  • MEXICO

    Top US delegation pledges help against drug violence

    Read more

COMMENT(S)