Rescue work was underway in the south-western Chinese village of Dazhai, in Guizhou province, to unearth over 100 people buried or trapped in a landslide, local officials said on Monday. Several days of heavy rain triggered the slides.
AFP- More than 100 people were buried or trapped in a landslide triggered by heavy rain in southwest China on Monday, a local official said, in the latest weather-related disaster to hit the nation.
Rescue work was under way in the affected village of Dazhai in Guizhou province, the Xinhua news agency reported, but a local official said it was being hampered by the weather.
"One hundred and seven people from 37 families were trapped or buried," an official in the Guanling county emergencies office told AFP, adding that the number of casualties was not yet known.
"It's raining hard, making the rescue work difficult," said the official, surnamed Wang
Large swathes of eastern, central and southern China have been lashed by with torrential rain for days. On Sunday, authorities said nearly 69 million people had been affected.
So far this month, at least 235 people have died and more than 100 others have gone missing in flooding and landslides triggered by heavy rains, according to China's civil affairs ministry.
Around 4.7 million people have been forced to flee their homes over the past two weeks, the official China Daily said.
The National Meteorological Centre warned that the rain falling on Guizhou would not abate, with heavy to torrential rain forecast in many parts of the province on Tuesday.
The centre also warned there was a high probability that southwestern areas of the province would suffer from more rain-triggered geological disasters, and asked local residents to be on their guard.
The floods are among the worst in the southern part of the country since 1998, when more than 3,600 people were killed and over 20 million displaced, Xinhua said.
Last week, in the central province of Hunan, water from a swollen river surged to its highest level in a decade, deluging small towns and rural areas upriver from the capital Changsha.
In neighbouring Jiangxi, more than 75,000 people had to be evacuated after a dyke burst on the Fuhe river, and an army of over 2.6 million people in the province worked to shore up flood defences to avert further disaster.
Minister of Water Resources Chen Lei warned regional officials on Friday that their jobs were at stake if they failed to protect people from the effects of the deluge, his ministry said on its website.
"We must fully bring into play our monitoring and alert system and immediately announce disaster forecasts and thoroughly implement contingency plans and measures to avert mass disaster," he said.
At least 379 people have died in flooding in China this year, the government said at the weekend, putting economic losses at 82.4 billion yuan (12.1 billion dollars).
Date created : 2010-06-28