Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

Apple shares slump over future growth fears

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Compensation for thousands affected by post-election violence in Ivory Coast

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Happy Birthday, Mr President

Read more

THE DEBATE

The clean power plan: Obama, a climate leader?

Read more

THE DEBATE

US drone secrecy: Licence to kill?

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Puerto Rico defaults: is it America's Greece?

Read more

ACCESS ASIA

India: the surrogate mother baby boom

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'How to detect nonsense about climate change'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Gabon President aide detained in Paris

Read more

Africa

Sudanese President Bashir faces fresh genocide charges

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-07-13

The International Criminal Court issued a second arrest warrant on Monday for Sudan's President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, adding a new charge of genocide to the charges of war crimes and crimes against humanity that Bashir faces under a 2009 warrant.

AFP - The International Criminal Court added genocide Monday to the list of charges against Sudan's President Omar al-Beshir, after issuing a warrant for his arrest for war crimes and crimes against humanity last year.
   
"The Chamber finds that there is sufficient evidence to establish reasonable grounds to believe that (Omar al-Beshir) is criminally responsible ... for those charges of genocide," said a court decision published on Monday.
   
The ICC's appeals chamber ordered judges in February to rethink their decision to omit genocide from a warrant issued for the Sudanese leader's arrest in March 2009.
   
The prosecution had appealed against the absence of genocide charges on that warrant, the ICC's first ever issued for a sitting head of state.
   
Based on Monday's decision, a second warrant was issued listing three counts of genocide.
   
Prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo accuses Beshir of personally instructing his forces to annihilate three ethnic groups -- the Fur, the Masalit and the Zaghawa in Darfur.
   
The prosecutor says 2.7 million people have been uprooted from their homes, of whom 100,000 died of causes related to their displacement, such as starvation.
   
The United Nations says up to 300,000 people have died since conflict broke out in Darfur in 2003, when ethnic minority rebels took up arms against the Arab-dominated regime for a greater share of resources and power.

 

Date created : 2010-07-12

  • SUDAN

    Still wanted by ICC for war crimes, al-Bashir starts new term

    Read more

  • SUDAN

    Opposition leader al-Turabi arrested, newspaper shut down

    Read more

  • SUDAN

    Sudan's Bashir wins landmark presidential poll

    Read more

COMMENT(S)