Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

Cuba-USA: 'A roll of the dice'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

The 'Caribbean Wall' is starting to crumble

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

"Todos somos Americanos"

Read more

WEB NEWS

Sydney siege: Australians show solidarity with Muslims

Read more

ENCORE!

"Charlie's Country" director Rolf de Heer on the contemporary Aboriginal condition

Read more

FOCUS

Hunt for Joseph Kony and LRA militants continues

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

‘China needs Tibetan culture of peace,’ says Dalai Lama

Read more

FACE-OFF

Immigration in France: Hollande slams scaremongers

Read more

ENCORE!

'Charlie's Country' director Rolf de Heer on the contemporary Aboriginal condition

Read more

Africa

Court confirms poll results, clearing the way for run-off

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-07-20

Guinea's Supreme Court on Tuesday overruled charges of fraud to confirm the results of a contested June 27 presidential election, paving the way for a run-off vote between the two leading candidates.

AFP - Former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo and opposition veteran Alpha Conde will dispute the second round of Guinea's presidential election, the supreme court announced Tuesday.
  
The court's ruling confirmed the provisional results of the June 27 first round of voting, which had been challenged by several of the eliminated candidates who had alleged fraud.
  
The court's president Mamadou Sylla, flanked by his fellow judges, announced the definitive results at a press conference held in the court.
  
The court's final version of the first-round results gave Diallo 43.69 percent of the vote to Conde's 18.25 percent.
  
It gave the third-placed candidate, former prime minister Sidya Toure, whose supporters had alleged there had been ballot-box stuffing in favour of Conde, 13.62 percent of the vote.
  
A senior court official told AFP on Monday the court had had to examine 15 legal challenges to the provisional results.
  
After half a century of civilian and military dictatorships, 77 percent of registered voters turned out to cast their ballots in the first round of the election.

Date created : 2010-07-20

  • GUINEA

    Second round of presidential vote postponed until August

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Former PM Diallo leads opponent Conde going into run-off vote

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Two dozen candidates – and no soldiers – in Guinea's presidential poll

    Read more

COMMENT(S)