Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

Israel-Palestinian territories: Can there be an end to the historic conflict? (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Palestinian territories: Can there be an end to the historic conflict?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

#IKEAgate?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Undiplomatic Language

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Zambian President Michael Sata dies aged 77

Read more

FOCUS

Lebanon: Syrian civil war spillover heightens tensions in Tripoli

Read more

ENCORE!

Art show: From Frank Gehry's glass sails to Paul McCarthy's sex toys

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

US midterms: The battle for Colorado

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Dominique Strauss-Kahn reacts to suicide of his business partner

Read more

Asia-pacific

NATO attack killed at least 45 civilians, says Afghan government

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-07-26

A NATO attack during fighting between ISAF troops and Taliban insurgents killed at least 45 civilians in Helmand province last week, according to an Afghan government spokesman on Monday.

REUTERS - At least 45 civilians, many women and children, were killed in a rocket attack by the NATO-led force in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province last week, a spokesman for the Afghan government said on Monday.
 
The incident happened in Helmand's Sangin district on Friday when civilians crammed into a mud-built house to flee fighting between NATO-led International Security Assistance
Force (ISAF) troops and Taliban insurgents, Siyamak Herawi told Reuters.
 
A spokesman for ISAF said on Sunday they were aware of reports about the incident and were investigating. Further comment was not immediately available.

Date created : 2010-07-26

COMMENT(S)