Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Apparent beheading of Steven Sotloff sees more calls for #IsisMediaBlackout

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Lesotho Coup: Exiled Prime Minister vows to return home after fleeing

Read more

DEBATE

Child Migrants In America: What to do about the wave of unaccompanied minors? (Part Two)

Read more

DEBATE

Child Migrants In America: What to do about the wave of unaccompanied minors?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Abbas Araghchi, Iranian deputy foreign minister

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

FOCUS

When water becomes a weapon of war

Read more

ENCORE!

Eve Ensler: 'In The Body Of The World'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Ed Husain, Author of 'The Islamist'

Read more

  • IS video purports to show beheading of second US journalist

    Read more

  • Obama orders 350 more US troops to Baghdad

    Read more

  • Video: Bodies ‘left behind’ as Ukraine forces flee rebel assault

    Read more

  • France vows crackdown on unemployment benefit ‘abusers’

    Read more

  • Frenchwoman reunited with daughter kidnapped by Syria-bent father

    Read more

  • Trust and 'bio-disaster units' needed to fight Ebola

    Read more

  • Could France sell the Mona Lisa to pay off its debts?

    Read more

  • Iraqi forces advance on IS as protesters storm parliament

    Read more

  • Julie Gayet wins privacy case against French glossy Closer

    Read more

  • Germany blocks popular car pick-up service Uber

    Read more

  • Several UN peacekeepers killed in Mali explosion

    Read more

  • NATO plans new 'spearhead' force to counter Russia

    Read more

  • French clubs left behind as others spend big

    Read more

  • Britain drops arrest warrant for ill boy’s parents

    Read more

  • When water becomes a weapon of war

    Read more

  • Arab media strike back at IS Islamists – with cartoons

    Read more

  • US military targets Somalia's al Shabaab Islamist group

    Read more

  • Eve Ensler: 'In The Body Of The World'

    Read more

  • Boko Haram Islamists seize northeast Nigerian town

    Read more

Africa

German hostages snatched in June released unharmed

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-07-27

Two German men kidnapped in Sudan's troubled Darfur region in June were released unharmed Tuesday, announced the German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle Tuesday. The men work for the German government's relief arm.

AFP - Two German aid workers kidnapped in June  when gunmen swooped on their offices in Sudan's war-torn Darfur region were freed on Tuesday and are in good health.
  
German Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle announced their release in Berlin.
  
"Both men... will be brought to Khartoum in the course of the day. They are well, considering the difficult circumstances," he said.
  
The men work for Technische Hilfswerk (THW), the disaster relief arm of the German interior ministry. The foreign ministry gave no details on the circumstances surrounding their release.
  
"I thank the crisis centre and all authorities involved for their untiring and successful involvement. I also thank the Sudanese authorities for their support and cooperation," Westerwelle said.
  
"I have spoken to them. They are in good health," the head of THW in Sudan Jurgen Maresch told AFP.
  
The two men, aged 34 and 52, were kidnapped by unknown gunmen in Nyala, the largest city of Darfur, on June 22.
  
It was the first time foreigners had been kidnapped from their offices in the heart of Nyala, where more than one million people live.
  
"They were released this morning in Kebkabiya and were then driven to Nyala," Chris Cycmanick, spokesman for the joint UN-African Union peacekeeping mission (UNAMID), told AFP.
  
The Kebkabiya region is one of the most sensitive parts of Darfur and is controled by Arab tribes. Several hostages in Darfur have spent their time in captivity in Kebkabiya where the government has little control.
  
"They have just left Nyala in a plane of the ICRC and should arrive in Khartoum around 7:00 pm (1600 GMT)," said an official of the International Committee of the Red Cross.
  
The kidnapping of the two men marked the first time Germans had been abducted in Darfur.
  
Darfur has been gripped by civil war since 2003 that has left 300,000 people dead and 2.7 million displaced, according to the United Nations. Khartoum says 10,000 have been killed in the conflict.
  
The vast western Sudanese region has also seen a wave of kidnappings of foreign nationals since March 2009 when the International Criminal Court issued an arrest warrant for Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir accusing him of war crimes and crimes against humanity in Darfur.
  
Since March 2009, 17 foreigners including 10 Westerners have been seized there.
  
All have been released except an American aid worker with the Samaritan's Purse group who was kidnapped in May.
  
"In the past it was okay, but now it is not. They are threatening me, my life, my health," the woman told AFP by telephone on Monday.
  
"I am not safe now. I don't have clean water, the situation changed very quickly into a nightmare. There are 20 men around me now," she said.
  
"I want to go home, I just hope they will release me."
  
The woman's identity was confirmed to AFP by Samaritan's Purse, but the aid group has requested that her name not be published.
 

Date created : 2010-07-27

COMMENT(S)