Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

The Future of the Book

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'We have to build a new Tunisia', says the president of the Tunisian Parliament

Read more

FACE-OFF

France on alert after attacks: a case of collective hysteria?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

'Beijing needs to revaluate its policy in the Tibetan areas', says FM of the Tibetan government-in-exile

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

Uruguay: freed Guantanamo detainees try to adjust to normal life

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Turkey: Inside the Alevi community

Read more

FOCUS

China: A tense Christmas in Wenzhou

Read more

DEBATE

Pope's Scathing Tidings: Pontiff Blasts 'Illnesses' at Vatican's Heart (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Pope's Scathing Tidings: Pontiff Blasts 'Illnesses' at Vatican's Heart

Read more

Asia-pacific

Latest kindergarten attack leaves at least three children dead

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-08-04

At least three children have been killed in an attack at a kindergarten in Zibo city in Shandong province, the latest in a spate of such attacks nationwide. At least five attacks at schools this year have killed 17 people, 15 of them children.

AFP - At least three children have been killed in an attack on a kindergarten in eastern China, residents and a rights group said Wednesday, in the latest in a series of assaults on schools nationwide.
   
The attack occurred on Tuesday in Shandong province's Zibo city, residents said, but the local hospital, police and government all refused to comment.
   
"It happened at three or four yesterday afternoon," an employee at another kindergarten in the same district, who gave his name as Wang, told AFP.
   
"Three kids died and another three were injured, and four teachers were also injured," he said.
   
Another Zibo resident, a kindergarten owner who refused to be named, said she knew of the attack but was not aware of the number of dead and injured.
   
But she added that kindergartens in the city had been asked to close for one month as of Thursday.
   
According to the Hong Kong-based Information Center for Human Rights and Democracy, the attacker burst into the kindergarten holding a knife, killing or injuring 16 children and teachers.
   
The group put the death toll at four.
   
It said city police and government had confirmed murder had taken place but refused to divulge the number of dead and injured.
   
The state Xinhua news agency so far has not reported the incident.
   
The attack is the latest in a line that have shocked China and led to increased security in schools.
   
At least five major attacks took place on schools from March to May this year, leaving 17 people -- including 15 children -- dead and more than 80 injured.
   
Two attackers have already been executed and two others committed suicide. The fifth suspect was sentenced to death in June.
   
Primary and secondary schools are closed in China until early September.

 

Date created : 2010-08-04

  • CHINA

    Kindergarten attacker kills six children in latest school violence

    Read more

COMMENT(S)