Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Apparent beheading of Steven Sotloff sees more calls for #IsisMediaBlackout

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Lesotho Coup: Exiled Prime Minister vows to return home after fleeing

Read more

DEBATE

Child Migrants In America: What to do about the wave of unaccompanied minors? (Part Two)

Read more

DEBATE

Child Migrants In America: What to do about the wave of unaccompanied minors?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Abbas Araghchi, Iranian deputy foreign minister

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

FOCUS

When water becomes a weapon of war

Read more

ENCORE!

Eve Ensler: 'In The Body Of The World'

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Ed Husain, Author of 'The Islamist'

Read more

  • IS video purports to show beheading of second US journalist

    Read more

  • Could France sell the Mona Lisa to pay off its debts?

    Read more

  • Video: Bodies ‘left behind’ as Ukraine forces flee rebel assault

    Read more

  • Trust and 'bio-disaster units' needed to fight Ebola

    Read more

  • France vows crackdown on unemployment benefit ‘abusers’

    Read more

  • Julie Gayet wins privacy case against French glossy Closer

    Read more

  • Germany blocks popular car pick-up service Uber

    Read more

  • Several UN peacekeepers killed in Mali explosion

    Read more

  • NATO plans new 'spearhead' force to counter Russia

    Read more

  • French clubs left behind as others spend big

    Read more

  • Britain drops arrest warrant for ill boy’s parents

    Read more

  • When water becomes a weapon of war

    Read more

  • Arab media strike back at IS Islamists – with cartoons

    Read more

  • US military targets Somalia's al Shabaab Islamist group

    Read more

  • Eve Ensler: 'In The Body Of The World'

    Read more

  • Boko Haram Islamists seize northeast Nigerian town

    Read more

  • Is Carla Bruni against a political comeback for Sarkozy?

    Read more

  • Monaco’s Falcao leaves Ligue 1 for Man Utd

    Read more

Business

French energy firm GDF Suez to take control of UK competitor

Video by Fiona CAMERON

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-08-11

French energy group GDF Suez will acquire 70 percent of its British competitor International Power, the two groups announced Tuesday. The new company, to be called New International Power, will be the world's largest independent power producer.

AP - French electricity and natural gas utility GDF Suez SA said Tuesday it is combining the assets of its global energy unit with Britain's International Power to create the world's largest independent power producer.

GDF Suez, which reported a 9.3 percent rise in first half profit, will pay shareholders of International Power 92 pence (1.10, $1.45) per share.

It said it will transfer some its non-European, Turkish and British assets and 4.4 billion of debt to International Power, forming a producer with a 66 gigawatt capacity.

Partially state-owned GDF Suez will own 70 percent of the company, with International Power shareholders owning the remaining 30 percent.

The new company, to be called New International Power, will have a strong market position in Latin America, North America, Britain, the Middle East, Asia, and Australia, GDF Suez CEO Gerard Mestrallet said in a statement.

``International Power will be particularly well positioned to capture the growth opportunities in emerging markets, where energy needs will be strong in the coming years,'' he said.

It will be listed on the British stock exchange and run by International Power's Philip Cox as CEO.

Sir Neville Simms, Chairman of International Power, said the two companies have ``a highly complementary geographic footprint.''

The announcement comes as both companies report first half results.

GDF Suez reported Tuesday that net profit rose to 3.6 billion in the six months through June. International Power said its net profit fell 49 percent to 199 million pounds (239 million, $317 million).
 

Date created : 2010-08-10

COMMENT(S)