Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

BUSINESS DAILY

French government hopes to collect €1.8bn from foreign accounts

Read more

DEBATE

Gaza: A Truce At All Costs?

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users call for peace in Gaza

Read more

WEB NEWS

NSA targets "Tor" network users

Read more

WEB NEWS

Teen slammed for taking smiling selfie at Auschwitz

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Sarkozy, Hollande and the scooter wars

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Confusion online over Air Algérie flight

Read more

  • UN Security Council calls for immediate Gaza ceasefire

    Read more

  • France honours those lost on Air Algérie Flight AH5017

    Read more

  • Video: Ethiopia turns to wine to boost image, economy

    Read more

  • France calls on its nationals to leave Libya as violence escalates

    Read more

  • Video: Slaviansk mourns mass grave victims

    Read more

  • Nibali joins elite group with Tour de France win

    Read more

  • Boko Haram kidnap Cameroon minister's wife in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Muslims prepare for Eid al-Fitr festival

    Read more

  • ‘Irresponsible’ American dad tries to scale Mont Blanc with children

    Read more

  • Ukraine fighting prevents observers from accessing MH17 crash site

    Read more

  • In pictures: Crowds flock to enjoy the Tour de France show

    Read more

  • Netanyahu says Hamas 'violating its own ceasefire'

    Read more

  • Video: At the scene of the Air Algérie crash in Mali

    Read more

  • Costa Concordia arrives in port of Genoa to be scrapped

    Read more

  • In pictures: Youths clash with police at banned Gaza protest

    Read more

  • Russia lashes out at new EU sanctions over Ukraine

    Read more

  • Bodies of all Air Algérie crash victims to be brought to France

    Read more

  • Syrian army and ISIS both claim advances

    Read more

  • Briton kidnapped in Yemen freed after five months

    Read more

  • New round of Gaza ceasefire talks takes place in Paris

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Seven killed in car bomb blast in Xinjiang region

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-08-19

Seven people were killed on Thursday when a member of the Uighur minority drove a vehicle loaded with explosives into a crowd and blew it up on the outskirts of Aksu in China's Xinjiang region, the site of deadly ethnic unrest last year.

AFP - Seven people were killed Thursday when a man drove a vehicle loaded with explosives into a crowd and it blew up in China's Xinjiang region, the scene of deadly ethnic unrest last year, an official said.
   
Police detained the injured suspect -- a member of Xinjiang's Uighur minority -- at the site of the blast in the outskirts of Aksu, a city near the border with Kyrgyzstan, regional government spokeswoman Hou Hanmin told AFP.
   
"The suspect is a Uighur. Most of the victims are Uighurs too. The suspect was driving a three-wheeled vehicle carrying explosives into a crowd of people at a crossroads in the suburbs of Aksu," she said.
   
"Accident can be ruled out (as a cause)," she added, but said it was too early to say whether the blast, which also injured 14 people, was an act of terrorism.
   
According to the Hong Kong-based Information Centre for Human Rights and Democracy, which interviewed residents in Aksu, martial law has been declared in the city and a large number of armed police deployed.
   
The far-western Xinjiang region, where the mainly Muslim Uighur minority has long seethed under Chinese rule, has experienced several violent bouts of unrest in recent years.
   
On July 5 last year the regional capital Urumqi was torn apart when Uighurs vented decades of resentment on members of China's dominant Han group. Han mobs took to the streets in the following days, seeking revenge.
   
Nearly 200 people were killed and 1,700 injured in all, the government says, in the worst ethnic violence in China in decades.
   
China has blamed the unrest on "separatists" but provided no evidence of any organised terrorism. More than 25 people have either been executed or received the death penalty for their involvement in the violence, state media say.
   
Several violent attacks also took place in different cities in Xinjiang in 2008 before and during the Beijing Summer Olympics, leaving dozens dead.
   
Xinjiang -- a vast, arid but resource-rich region that borders Central Asia -- has more than eight million Uighurs, and many are unhappy with what they say has been decades of repressive rule by Beijing and unwanted Han immigration.
   
While standards of living have improved, Uighurs complain that most of the gains go to the Han.
   
In June this year, police said they had busted a ring behind a string of attacks in the region, arresting at least 10 people.
   
They said the group was responsible for one particularly gruesome incident in Kashgar, an ancient city in Xinjiang, in which attackers assaulted police with explosives and machetes in August 2008.
   
The ring included members of militant groups seeking independence for Xinjiang such as the East Turkestan Islamic Movement (ETIM), police said.
   
The United States and the United Nations have listed ETIM as a "terrorist" organisation. Both Washington and Beijing say ETIM militants have received training and funding from Al-Qaeda, although some analysts dispute that.
   
 

Date created : 2010-08-19

  • CHINA

    Xinjiang region on alert for ethnic unrest anniversary

    Read more

  • CHINA

    Nine executed over ethnic Uighur unrest in Xinjiang

    Read more

  • CHINA

    Six sentenced to death over Xinjiang riots

    Read more

COMMENT(S)