Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Fans and players react online to Arsene Wegner's club departure

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Syria alleged chemical attack: Gunfire delays deployment of weapons inspectors

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Cashing in on local French currencies

Read more

YOU ARE HERE

Life on the canals of northern France

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

What lies ahead for Cuba after the Castros?

Read more

#TECH 24

Discovering and harnessing the power of the sun

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Can France bid 'adieu' to popular weedkiller glyphosate?

Read more

#THE 51%

Harmful for your health: When gender bias affects medical diagnosis

Read more

REPORTERS

Africa’s donkeys slaughtered for Chinese ‘miracle elixir’

Read more

Americas

Washington calls for Lockerbie bomber to be returned to jail

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-08-21

The US has called for Lockerbie bomber Abdel Baset Al-Megrahi (pictured) to be returned to a Scottish jail, renewing protests over the compassionate release last year of the man convicted for the 1988 bombing of a US passenger plane.

AP - The Obama administration has asked that the only person convicted for the 1988 bombing of Pan Am Flight 103 be returned to a Scottish prison.

John Brennan, President Barack Obama’s counterterrorism adviser, told reporters accompanying the vacationing leader that the U.S. has “expressed our strong conviction” to Scottish officials that Abdel Baset Al-Megrahi should not remain free. The comments came Friday, on the first anniversary of Al-Megrahi’s release.

Brennan criticized what he termed the “unfortunate and inappropriate and wrong decision” to free him and added: “We’ve expressed our strong conviction that Al-Begrahi should serve out the remainder -- the entirety -- of his sentence in a Scottish prison.”

Earlier in Washington, Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton issued a statement that underscored the U.S. position.

Similarly, Brennan said the U.S. had “effective and productive discussions” with Libyan officials since the restoration of full diplomatic relations two years ago.

“We will use those diplomatic channels to convey our sentiments on a broad range of issues to include Mr. Al-Megrahi,” said Brennan.

Al-Megrahi was ordered in 2001 to serve 27 years in prison for the bombing over Lockerbie, Scotland, but was freed on Aug. 20 of last year on compassionate grounds. He was said to suffer from cancer and had just months to live.

The bombing killed 259 people onboard -- mostly Americans -- and 11 on the ground.
 

Date created : 2010-08-21

  • USA

    US lawmakers target BP over release of Lockerbie bomber

    Read more

  • LIBYA

    Lockerbie bomber's health deteriorates

    Read more

COMMENT(S)