Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

ACROSS AFRICA

African nations need to prepare for potential return of thousands of jihadists

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

DR Congo former child soldiers awarded $10 mn in damages in landmark ruling

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Website roots out "Rotten Apples"

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Putin's press conference, Alabama election, One Planet Summit, Brexit Phase II, Disney & Fox

Read more

#TECH 24

WorldRemit: Helping migrant workers send money back home

Read more

FOCUS

The challenges awaiting the new leader of South Africa's ANC

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Bangladeshi PM calls violence in Myanmar 'unacceptable'

Read more

DOWN TO EARTH

Was 2017 the worst year for the environment?

Read more

ENCORE!

Rhiannon Giddens strikes out on her 'Freedom Highway'

Read more

Americas

Five trapped Chilean miners suffering depression

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-08-28

Chilean officials have said that five of the 33 Chilean miners trapped 700 metres underground are showing signs of depression, just three weeks into an ordeal that is expected to last up to four months.

AFP - Five of the miners trapped underground in Chile for months to come are struggling psychologically, officials said Friday, as engineers prepared to start drilling an escape shaft.

While the rest of the 33 trapped miners were happy to take part in a video to show families they were bearing up despite what has so far been a three-week ordeal, the smaller group refused and were exhibiting signs of depression.
  
"Five of the miners are isolated, are not eating well and do not want to appear on camera," Health Minister Jaime Manalich said. "This is what we call depression."
  
The minister said a psychiatrist would attempt to treat the men over an intercom system dropped to them.
  
The mental malaise emerging among the miners holed up in a shelter 700 meters (2,300 feet) under the surface of the earth augured badly for the months of continued captivity the men have yet to endure.
  
Engineers estimate it could take up to four months to excavate a rescue tunnel wide enough for each man to be extracted from the dank and sweaty tunnel they themselves have described as "hell."
  
During that time, the men were to receive water, sustenance, medical care and communication through a tiny drill probe hole that located them last Sunday.
  
The big hydraulic bore to be used for the escape tunnel would begin drilling "between Sunday and Monday," following completion of a topographical survey and the laying of a concrete base for the machine, the engineer in charge of the operation, Andre Sougarret, told reporters.
  
The bore, an Australian-made Strata 950, drills at a maximum rate of 20 meters (66 feet) per day. The initial narrow shaft it will dig will have to be doubled in diameter to permit a man to pass through.
  
Video message gives tour of miners' refuge
The video footage shot by the miners and broadcast in Chile late Thursday showed most of the group in good spirits.
  
"We've organized everything really well down here," one of the miners, sporting a scraggly beard and pointing to a corner reserved for medical supplies, said in excerpts of the 45-minute video.
  
"This is where we entertain ourselves, where we have a meeting every day, where we make plans. This is where we pray," he added.
  
About a dozen other miners waved at the mini-camera, which was delivered via one of the metal capsules dropped to them regularly.
  
Chilean authorities have already taken steps to boost the men's mental resilience for the ordeal that still lays ahead, notably by reaching out to organizations and individuals with experience in prolonged isolation.
  
Four officials from the US space agency NASA were due to arrive Sunday or Monday in Chile to provide expertise, while submarine commanders in Chile's navy have already given advice.
  
At least five people from a group of 16 who survived 72 days in the Andes after a 1972 airplane crash by cannibilizing dead passengers were also to head from Uruguay to the scene of the mine rescue drama next week.
  
"When they get out and they hug each other above ground, they'll see how little two or three months is in a lifetime," said one of the crash survivors, Jose Luis Inciarte, 62.
  
As rescue operations and psychological assistance ramped up, so did legal actions against the owners of the mine where the men are trapped.
  
San Esteban Mining, the company responsible for the gold and copper mine in northern Chile, was ordered Thursday by a local judge to freeze 1.8 million dollars in revenue so that it can pay future compensation to 26 of the families of those trapped.
  
One family has also filed a lawsuit over the accident, accusing the mine company and government inspectors of criminal negligence by allowing the facility to reopen in 2008 after a worker accident led to its closure in 2007.
  
Chile's mining minister announced late Friday he will revise mine safety regulations and more than double the budget and staff monitoring the sector in the wake of the August 5 accident.
  
"We can't guarantee there will be no more accidents, but we can make company leaders more aware of the importance of worker safety," Laurence Golborne told reporters.

 

 

Date created : 2010-08-28

  • CHILE

    Video message gives tour of trapped Chilean miners' refuge

    Read more

  • CHILE

    Chilean miners told they could be trapped until Christmas

    Read more

  • CHILE

    Trapped miners found to be alive after over two weeks

    Read more

COMMENT(S)