Hamas said it was behind the shooting attack that killed four Israelis in the West Bank on the eve of new peace talks in Washington. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to hunt down the attackers “without diplomatic restraint”.
AFP - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday ordered his security forces to hunt for the killers of four Israelis near a West Bank Jewish settlement "without diplomatic restraint," his staff said.
"He ordered the security forces to pursue the attackers without any diplomatic restraint and to lay hands on the attackers and those who sent them," his staff said in a statement to reporters traveling with Netanyahu.
The Mideast conflict
- Mideast peace summit in Paris ends with warning, calls for two-state solution
- France warns of 'serious consequences' if US embassy moves to Jerusalem
- France hosts Mideast peace talks without Israelis, Palestinians
- Kerry to attend Middle East peace conference in Paris
- Israel buries truck attack victims amid doubts over IS group link
- Manslaughter conviction of Israeli soldier divides nation
- Netanyahu backs pardon for Israeli soldier convicted of manslaughter
- Israeli soldier Azaria found guilty of manslaughter for shooting wounded Palestinian
- Kerry to lay out US vision of Israel-Palestinian peace
- Israeli settlements: Israel, alone but determined
The move appeared to give the security forces the freedom to search for the attackers in the Palestinian West Bank, despite the resumption of direct peace talks that are set to take place in Washington on Thursday.
Using the plane's telephone, the prime minister was briefed on the attack near a West Bank Jewish settlement by Defense Minister Ehud Barak and the head of the Shin Beth security service, Netanyahu's staff said.
"My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and I send my thoughts to all our brothers in Judea and Samaria," Netanyahu was quoted as saying in the statement given by his staff after the plane landed outside Washington.
The military wing of the Islamist Hamas said it was behind the killings.
Date created : 2010-08-31