Hamas said it was behind the shooting attack that killed four Israelis in the West Bank on the eve of new peace talks in Washington. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to hunt down the attackers “without diplomatic restraint”.
AFP - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday ordered his security forces to hunt for the killers of four Israelis near a West Bank Jewish settlement "without diplomatic restraint," his staff said.
"He ordered the security forces to pursue the attackers without any diplomatic restraint and to lay hands on the attackers and those who sent them," his staff said in a statement to reporters traveling with Netanyahu.
The Mideast conflict
- Israel approves more than 400 new West Bank settlement homes
- The rise of political tourism in the Middle East
- Israel strikes Hamas targets in Gaza Strip after rocket attack
- Israel arrests UN Gaza employee 'for aiding Hamas'
- Dozens of Palestinian inmates take part in hunger strike
- Victims' families sue Facebook for $1 billion over Palestinian attacks
- Palestinian kills Israeli teen in West Bank settlement
- Israel’s ex-intel chief: ‘Together, we can do a lot to make Middle East a better place’
- In Tel Aviv terror attack, scholar of Israeli-Palestinian conflict becomes its victim
- Israel revokes Palestinian permits, deploys troops after deadly Tel Aviv attack
The move appeared to give the security forces the freedom to search for the attackers in the Palestinian West Bank, despite the resumption of direct peace talks that are set to take place in Washington on Thursday.
Using the plane's telephone, the prime minister was briefed on the attack near a West Bank Jewish settlement by Defense Minister Ehud Barak and the head of the Shin Beth security service, Netanyahu's staff said.
"My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and I send my thoughts to all our brothers in Judea and Samaria," Netanyahu was quoted as saying in the statement given by his staff after the plane landed outside Washington.
The military wing of the Islamist Hamas said it was behind the killings.
Date created : 2010-08-31