Hamas said it was behind the shooting attack that killed four Israelis in the West Bank on the eve of new peace talks in Washington. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu vowed to hunt down the attackers “without diplomatic restraint”.
AFP - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on Tuesday ordered his security forces to hunt for the killers of four Israelis near a West Bank Jewish settlement "without diplomatic restraint," his staff said.
"He ordered the security forces to pursue the attackers without any diplomatic restraint and to lay hands on the attackers and those who sent them," his staff said in a statement to reporters traveling with Netanyahu.
The Mideast conflict
- Chief Palestinian negotiator: 'Trump is burying two-state solution'
- Palestinian leaders call for suspending recognition of Israel
- Palestinian Authority president Abbas calls Trump peace offer 'slap of the century'
- Israel bars 20 activist groups from entry over calls for Israeli boycott
- Trump threatens to withhold Palestinian aid
- China bans ivory trade in 'New Year gift' to elephants
- Israel charges Palestinian teen who slapped soldiers with assault
- Pope uses Christmas message to call for two-state solution in Middle East
- Following US lead, Guatemala announces embassy move to Jerusalem
- Jerusalem tensions overshadow Christmas in Bethlehem
The move appeared to give the security forces the freedom to search for the attackers in the Palestinian West Bank, despite the resumption of direct peace talks that are set to take place in Washington on Thursday.
Using the plane's telephone, the prime minister was briefed on the attack near a West Bank Jewish settlement by Defense Minister Ehud Barak and the head of the Shin Beth security service, Netanyahu's staff said.
"My heart goes out to the victims and their families, and I send my thoughts to all our brothers in Judea and Samaria," Netanyahu was quoted as saying in the statement given by his staff after the plane landed outside Washington.
The military wing of the Islamist Hamas said it was behind the killings.
Date created : 2010-08-31