Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Government forces close to recapturing Libyan IS group stronghold of Sirte

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Can Manuel Valls unite the left ahead of 2017?

Read more

FOCUS

Italy's rural south welcomes refugees with open arms

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

French presidential election: ‘Valls's Moment’

Read more

ENCORE!

Music Show: Electro star Agoria stays 'Up All Night'

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Ukraine’s ex-prime minister: ‘We need reforms’

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Italy's referendum: ‘Confronted with a wave of 'NO' votes, Renzi resigns’

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Extremist populist parties: What's the reason behind their rise?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gambians herald 'new independence' after Jammeh defeat

Read more

Americas

Fourteen police killed in suspected FARC mine blast

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-09-03

Fourteen police officers died when their vehicle was destroyed by a mine in southern Caqueta department, police said Thursday. Officials attribute the blast to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), whose main stronghold is in Caqueta.

AFP - Fourteen police officers were killed when their patrol vehicle was blown up by a rebel mine on a road in southern Caqueta department, local police said Thursday.
   
"At first we got reports of five police killed in a mine field, but only when we managed to get there Thursday, due to the precautions you must take in the area, could we confirm that 14 were killed" in the bombing late Wednesday, a police spokesman said.
   
Early reports after the blast said five police officers had been killed in their patrol vehicle by a mine blast attributed to the Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia (FARC), the country's oldest and strongest rebel group whose main stronghold is in Caqueta.
   
Police said they took very long in reaching the bombing site because they had to negotiate several mine fields laid by the guerrillas. They said the vehicle was completely destroyed by the blast.
   
The bombing near Maguare village was the first major FARC attack on law enforcement since President Juan Manuel Santos took office on August 7. He has vowed to continue a crackdown on the rebel group lauched eight years ago by his predecessor Alvaro Uribe.
   
Three soldiers were killed and seven were wounded Thursday in two battles with FARC guerrillas in Norte de Santander and Narino departments, on the borders with Venezuela and Ecuador respectively.
   
And on July 31, FARC rebels killed five police officers and one soldier when they were inspecting boats docked on a river at Solita, also in Caqueta department.

 

Date created : 2010-09-03

  • COLOMBIA

    Santos to take office amid challenges from FARC, unemployment

    Read more

  • COLOMBIA

    FARC rebels offer peace talks

    Read more

  • COLOMBIA

    Former hostage Betancourt sues state over kidnapping

    Read more

COMMENT(S)