Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

DEBATE

Europe's Plan for Putin - Will Russian Leader Bend After New Sanctions? (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Europe's Plan for Putin - Will Russian Leader Bend After New Sanctions?

Read more

FOCUS

Pakistan's Ahmadis living in fear of extremist attacks

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users show solidarity with Iraqi Christians

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Gilles Kepel, Islamic and Arab world specialist

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Argentina braced for another debt default

Read more

DEBATE

Too Late for Sanctions? Pressure Mounts on Russia over Ukraine (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Too Late for Sanctions? Pressure Mounts on Russia over Ukraine

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

'What would you do?'

Read more

  • Deadly shelling strikes Gaza UN school

    Read more

  • Dozens killed in stampede at Guinea rap concert

    Read more

  • US and EU slap Russia with fresh sanctions over Ukraine

    Read more

  • 'Compelling' signs Kosovo leaders trafficked organs, prosecutor says

    Read more

  • Europe launches last resupply ship to space station

    Read more

  • Graphic: Ebola spreads across West Africa

    Read more

  • Islamists seize key Benghazi army base as fuel fire rages on

    Read more

  • In pictures: ن - a sign of support for Iraq’s persecuted Christians

    Read more

  • Calls mount to ban France’s ‘violent’ Jewish Defence League

    Read more

  • Venezuela: Hugo Chavez’s ‘little bird’ strikes again

    Read more

  • France extradites suspected Jewish Museum shooter to Belgium

    Read more

  • Video: How tourism is helping Rwanda’s gorillas, ex-poachers

    Read more

  • Rare Sri Lankan leopard cubs born in French zoo

    Read more

  • US says Russia violated arms treaty by testing cruise missile

    Read more

Asia-pacific

Aftershocks and approaching storm threaten quake-hit Christchurch

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-09-05

More than 30 aftershocks have hit New Zealand after the worst quake in recent history caused more than a billion dollars in damage. Services and utilities have been restored, but an approaching storm could result in further damage.

AFP - New Zealand braced for more destruction Sunday as aftershocks and an approaching storm threatened an area of the country hit by the most devastating earthquake in decades.
  
Prime Minister John Key said it was "a miracle" no one had died when the major 7.0 magnitude quake wreaked more than a billion dollars of damage on the nation's second-biggest city of Christchurch.
  
Civil defence officials warned that ongoing aftershocks with magnitudes of up to 5.4, coupled with a ferocious storm blowing in could threaten already-weakened buildings.
  
Despite widespread damage, none of the city's 340,000-strong population died when the quake struck before dawn Saturday.
  
"The only conclusion you can draw is that it's a miracle nobody was killed," Key said as he surveyed the devastation.
  
"Parts of the city look like they've been put in the tumble dryer and been given a darn good shake."
  
Central Christchurch remained cordoned off Sunday although most of the power, water and sewage facilities that were cut in the earthquake had been restored.
  
Emergency evaluation teams picked their way through streets piled with rubble and littered with shattered glass to inspect buildings and determine whether evacuations were necessary.
  
Some coastal and riverside suburbs "are the worst-hit areas in the city and public health issues may yet force evacuations," the civil defence agency said in a statement.
  
More than 200 people spent Saturday night in welfare centres while hundreds more sheltered with friends after fleeing damaged homes.
  
The Salvation Army said it was feeding 1,000 people and launched an appeal for those affected by the quake.
  
"New Zealanders are reeling from the disaster that struck Christchurch this weekend," Salvation Army national fundraising coordinator Major Robbie Ross said.
  
"Not since the 1930s have we experienced an earthquake as severe and it is important that we do everything we can to help."
  
Key also pledged government support, with initial damage estimates at two billion dollars (1.44 billion US).
  
"We are here to support them. We are not going to let Christchurch suffer this great tragedy on its own," Key said.
  
The earthquake was New Zealand's most destructive since the 1931 tremor in Napier that killed 256 people.
  
Although nobody died in Saturday's quake, civil defence officials warned the emergency was not over as more than 30 aftershocks had hit the region within 24 hours of the main quake and were likely to continue for several weeks.
  
A forecast storm was also likely to bring fresh challenges with wind gusts up to 130 kilometres (80 miles) per hour expected after nightfall Sunday with heavy rain to follow on Monday.
  
"The strong winds could result in further damage to buildings and structures already damaged in yesterday's earthquake," the civil defence statement said.
  
"Rain is likely to create stormwater issues for already stressed city infrastructure as well as create problems for residents who have properties that have been damaged and may now be exposed."

Date created : 2010-09-05

COMMENT(S)