Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

US media reacts to ebola scare

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: Center for Disease Control Confirms First Case of Virus in US (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: Center for Disease Control Confirms First Case of Virus in US

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

I will support Hillary Clinton, will.i.am tells France 24

Read more

FOCUS

Germany: Spread of radical Islam propaganda sparks concerns

Read more

ENCORE!

Corrie Nielsen: Up and Coming Talent at Paris Fashion Week

Read more

FACE-OFF

French Senate election: A new blow for Hollande

Read more

ENCORE!

Encore's Film Show: Julie Gayet, Denzel Washington, and cartoon madness

Read more

MIDDLE EAST MATTERS

Turkey's strategy towards the Islamic State group

Read more

Live from the newsroom, we provide an overview of the stories making the French and international newspaper headlines. From Monday to Friday at 7.20 am and 9.20 am Paris time.

IN THE PAPERS

IN THE PAPERS

Latest update : 2010-09-06

British tabloids in hot water over illegal phone tapping allegations.

In today's international papers- British tabloid the News of the World is in hot water over phone tapping allegations, the Spanish press is sceptical about Basque terrorist group ETA's ceasefire plans and Belgium is closer than ever to splitting in two.

Kicking off with a major investigation carried out by the New York Times- they sent a team of reporters to London for the summer to dig up dirt on illegal phone tapping at the News of the World-

 

That’s a British tabloid owned by media mogul Rupert Murdoch-

 

Now this scandal dates back to 2006 when it turned out the paper had hired private investigators to illegally listen in to Prince William and Harry’s phone calls.

 

The paper’s royal editor was jailed for six months for that crime and the then editor Andy Coulson was forced to resign- although he swore he had no idea the illegal listening was going on.

 

Now the NYT’s huge enquiry says the phone tapping didn’t just target the princes- but literally hundreds of well known figures including senior politicians, TV stars and premiership footballers.

 

The NYT says the practice was endemic at the paper and then editor Andy Coulson encouraged it- and he is now the director of communications for the British government.

 

That means this is very embarrassing for Prime Minister David Cameron who has publicly stood by Coulson- and the opposition Labour party is now calling for a parliamentary inquiry and for Coulson’s resignation.

 

The scandal gets worse- the Guardian says the Metropolitan Police may have covered up information and refused to let victims know their phones had been tapped- so as not to upset the powerful Murdoch press.

 

Guardian columnist Charlie Brooker points out that aside from the Guardian British papers haven’t covered this story very much although it’s blowing up into a scandal of epic proportions-

 

He says there’s an elephant in the room here, and it’s the widespread complicity of British newspapers with this sort of illegal information gathering.

 

Moving onto Spain and the ceasefire announced this weekend by Basque terrorist group ETA-

 

Newspaper El Pais is pretty sceptical about it- their editorial is headlined ‘A ceasefire drop by drop’.

 

The paper says ETA is divided between those who want a peaceful political process and those who use violence-

 

A previous ceasefire was announced in 2006 but broken nine months later by rogue elements who killed two people in a bomb attack on Madrid’s Barajas airport- the paper says there’s no guarantee something like that won’t happen again.

 

It says ETA hasn’t definitively abandoned violence which was the condition the government imposed on them before talks can start- and so El Pais says the government should not talk to ETA until they prove the ceasefire is serious.

 

To Belgium now- where Francophone socialists and right wing Flemish nationalists have been trying to form a coalition government since elections in June threatened to split the country in two.

 

Now the negotiations have collapsed- and Francophone politicians are blaming the intransigence of Flemish nationalist leader Bart de Wever, saying they just can’t work with him.

 

Francophone politicians are now threatening to split Belgium in two- and French language newspaper le Soir says that’s the right strategy to take.

 

The paper says it’s playing well to francophone voters who want their polticians to take back the initiative- and make it clear to the Flemish that they won’t accept an accord at any price.

By Elena CASAS

COMMENT(S)

Archives

2014-10-01 debt

'France is sinking!'

FRENCH PAPERS - Weds. 01.10.14: Papers focus on the economy and French debt which has officially reached 2 trillion euros. According to Le Figaro, "France is sinking". France's...

Read more

2014-09-29 Hong Kong

Hong Kong Protesters Defy Beijing, Police Reply with Tear Gas

Live from the newsroom, Oliver Farry provides an overview of the world's newspaper headlines.

Read more

2014-09-29 France

Setback for French Socialists in Senate Elections

Live from the newsroom, FRANCE24's Oliver Farry provides an overview of today's French newspaper headlines.

Read more

2014-09-26 David Cameron

You can now smell like a revolution

INTERNATIONAL PAPERS - Fri. 26.09.14: British papers focus whether the UK should join the US-led airstrikes on the Islamic State Group in Iraq. Patrick Cockburn from the...

Read more

2014-09-26 Muslims

Should French Muslims publically disown radical Islam

FRENCH PAPERS - Fri. 26.09.14: Still a lot of emotion in the press following the beheading of French hostage Hervé Gourdel by a radical Algerian group allied with the Islamic...

Read more