Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

EYE ON AFRICA

Former LRA commander appears before ICC

Read more

WEB NEWS

'Snowmageddon 2015': Web users brace for massive snow storm

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

In Nazi death camps, 'I asked myself where God was all the time'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Far-left and far-right celebrate Syriza's victory

Read more

FOCUS

Auschwitz, the symbol of industrial-scale extermination

Read more

ENCORE!

The voices of Auschwitz in music, film and literature

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

Sir Martin Sorrell: Brexit referendum would be ‘very damaging for UK economy’

Read more

WEB NEWS

Facebook cracks down on viral hoaxes

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Colombia's Santos 'convinced' that FARC rebels 'want peace'

Read more

Africa

Election chief dies in Paris in wake of fraud conviction

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-09-14

The head of Guinea's electoral commission died of an illness in Paris on Tuesday. Ben Sekou Sylla was convicted for fraud last week and sentenced to a year in jail, a decision that prompted weekend clashes between supporters of rival parties.

AFP - The head of Guinea's electoral commission, whose conviction for fraud in presidential elections triggered deadly violence at the weekend, died of illness in Paris on Tuesday, his widow said.
   
Ben Sekou Sylla, 57, the commission head who was convicted for fraud last Friday and sentenced to a year in jail, was being treated in Paris for an undisclosed illness.
   
"My husband died of illness in Paris this morning at the Saint-Louis hospital," said Sylla Sire Keita, contacted by telephone in Paris.
   

He began receiving treatment in Paris in May.
   
Electoral violence that left one dead and 50 injured erupted over the weekend after an announcement Friday that Sylla and a top aide had been convicted of electoral fraud in connection with the first round of presidential elections on June 27.
   
Supporters of the rival candidates took to the streets on Saturday and Sunday, clashing and hurling stones at each other.
   
Former prime minister Cellou Dalein Diallo and veteran opposition leader Alpha Conde are due to face off in a presidential run-off on September 19.
   
Following the violence the government decided on Sunday to suspend the election campaign and ban all demonstrations.

 

Date created : 2010-09-14

  • GUINEA

    PM says security must take priority over run-off vote

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Campaign suspended, protests banned after days of clashes

    Read more

COMMENT(S)