Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE INTERVIEW

Erdogan to rid Turkish institutions of ‘separatist cancer’ after coup attempt

Read more

ENCORE!

The best of summer music festivals in France

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Going for gold: French athletes train for Rio Olympics

Read more

#TECH 24

Digital beauty

Read more

FOCUS

Women doctors in Pakistan challenge the status quo

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Trump hopes to reset America's trade relations

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Donald Trump's speech was just another scam'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Cazeneuve at the heart of Nice security controversy

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

South Africa: Prosecutors seek longer sentence for Oscar Pistorius

Read more

Africa

Electoral body proposes Oct. 10 for delayed presidential run-off

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-09-23

The Guinean electoral commission has proposed a new date of October 10 to hold a presidential run-off vote that was postponed last week amid security concerns in the politically fragile state.

 

REUTERS - Guinea's electoral commission on Wednesday proposed Oct. 10 as the revised date for the final round of voting in the West African country's first democratic election.
 
The commission, known as CENI, earlier this month postponed the election, which was due to have been held on Sept. 19, citing logistical reasons.
 
Analysts have said a successful election in Guinea, a key to stability in a region scarred by three civil wars, will bring in billions of dollars in planned mining investments and may draw a line under decades of authoritarian rule since independence from France in 1958.
 
The new date must be approved by interim head of state Sekouba Konate. Konate has said he does not want any further delays, and his approval is expected to be a formality.
 
"We have officially written to propose the date of October 10," CENI official Foumba Kourouma told Reuters.
 
The election, strongly backed by the United States, France and the European Union, is intended to end a political crisis that began when soldiers seized power in the world's biggest bauxite exporter in December 2008, after former President Lansana Conte died.
 
Two way fight
 
Former Prime Minister Celou Dalein Diallo, who won more than 40 percent of the vote in June's first round, will take on Alpha Conde, who polled 18 percent. Conde's camp has repeatedly said the electoral process is deeply flawed.
 
CENI has experienced turmoil since the first round at the end of June. Ben Sekou Sylla, who was chief at the time, was convicted of fraud earlier this month and died days later after a long illness.
 
Sylla's replacement by his deputy, Hadja Aminata Mame Camara, led Conde to protest that she is a political ally of Diallo.
 
Earlier this month, one person was killed and 50 were injured in street battles as rival camps traded accusations of attempted vote-rigging, and CENI said the row between Diallo and Conde was hindering its efforts to set a date for the final round.
 
CENI said the electoral material for which it had been waiting was largely in place.

 

Date created : 2010-09-23

  • GUINEA

    Second round of presidential poll postponed

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Election chief dies in Paris in wake of fraud conviction

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    PM says security must take priority over run-off vote

    Read more

COMMENT(S)