Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

'New York Post' slammed for publishing ISIS execution images

Read more

DEBATE

Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza: Back to Square One?

Read more

DEBATE

Israel-Gaza conflict: 72-hour ceasefire deal sets stage for Cairo talks

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users divided over Darren Wilson

Read more

FOCUS

Spain's El Hierro to become world's first self-powered island

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

A bellwether for what not to do

Read more

ENCORE!

Luc Besson back in action with Scarlett Johansson in 'Lucy'

Read more

FOCUS

Israel's minorities and military service

Read more

  • US forces tried to rescue slain reporter from IS captors

    Read more

  • Thailand coup leader Prayuth Chan-ocha voted prime minister

    Read more

  • Interactive: Relive the Liberation of Paris in WWII

    Read more

  • US attorney general visits Missouri town after fatal shooting

    Read more

  • French village rallies behind besieged elderly British couple

    Read more

  • Brazil’s Silva launches bid after Campos plane crash death

    Read more

  • Netanyahu compares Hamas to IS, Gaza offensive to continue

    Read more

  • Brutal IS beheading video sparks social media pushback

    Read more

  • France’s ex-PM Juppé sets up presidential clash with Sarkozy

    Read more

  • France’s Hollande says global security ‘worst since 2001’

    Read more

  • France urges Iran, others in region, to join fight against IS

    Read more

  • A new view on Normandy landings, 70 years on

    Read more

  • Dozens killed as landslides strike Japan’s Hiroshima

    Read more

  • Suspected Ebola cases in Austria, new drug raises hopes

    Read more

  • WWII anniversary highlights best - and worst - of Paris police

    Read more

Europe

ETA prepared to bow to demands for permanent ceasefire

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-09-26

The Basque separatist group ETA said Saturday it was prepared to offer an official and permanent ceasefire. Spain's government has previously rejected ETA's promises to end violence, saying anything short of a permanent commitment was insufficient.

AFP - The armed Basque separatist group ETA is ready to observe a permanent and verifiable ceasefire, the website of Basque newspaper Gara reported Saturday, based on interviews with two ETA members.

"ETA is willing to take that step and also to go further" if the conditions are right, the group's representatives replied when asked if they would be willing to commit to a permanent and verifiable ceasefire.

"The goal is to resolve the (Basque) political conflict democratically, to close the wound forever, and in order to do that we are all obliged to act responsibly," the ETA members told the pro-independence Basque newspaper, which often publishes statements from the group.

The ETA members said a halt in offensive actions announced earlier by the group was long term, and that the group would like to see a dialogue on ending the conflict with discussions involving Basque parties and civic groups.

But the Spanish government rejected ETA's latest move, the third since the start of September, just as it did the first two by the group that is considered terrorist by the European Union.

A government source quoted by the website of daily El Mundo declared: "Statements and interviews are a waste of time, the only thing we're waiting for is a final end to violence."

Earlier Saturday, ETA came under pressure from its political wing, Batasuna, to show its willingness to permanently renounce violence.

Batasuna joined with several other pro-independence parties to sign an agreement on peace initiatives in the Basque region, and they urged ETA to halt its campaign of violence.

ETA, blamed for 829 deaths in a campaign of bombings and shootings to secure an independent Basque homeland, has released two declarations in the past month proposing an end to violence and calling for international mediation.

The Spanish government dismissed both declarations as they fell short of its demand for the group to lay down arms permanently.

In a September 5 video declaration, ETA said it had decided several months ago to halt armed offensive actions. But the ceasefire was rejected outright by Madrid for failing to promise a permanent end to the violence.

Then on September 19 ETA called for international mediation to resolve the Basque question, referring to a group of international mediators who had urged the group to declare a permanent, verifiable ceasefire.

However the call failed to clearly spell out their willingness to lay down their arms forever, and Spanish officials again said it was insufficient.

Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero's government refuses to negotiate with ETA unless it abandons the armed struggle, recalling that ETA broke a previous promise to end the bloodshed.

ETA announced a "permanent ceasefire" in March 2006 and started tentative peace talks with Madrid.

But in December 2006 it set off a bomb in a car park at Madrid's airport, killing two men, and in June 2007 it formally called off its ceasefire, citing a lack of concessions by the government in peace talks.

The Spanish authorities believe ETA has been severely weakened since then. Spanish security forces, working in cooperation with other countries, particularly France, have arrested many suspected members of the leadership.

In the latest blow on September 14, more than 300 police officers detained nine leaders of Ekin, an ETA support group declared illegal by Spain's National Court in 2007.

ETA has also been coming under pressure from Batasuna, ruled illegal in 2003 due to its links with ETA, to make peace.

It wants the ban on its own activities to be lifted so it can take part in municipal elections next year.
 

Date created : 2010-09-26

  • SPAIN

    Basque separatists call for 'international mediation'

    Read more

  • SPAIN

    Spain dismisses Basque ceasefire announcement

    Read more

  • SPAIN

    Basque govt dismisses ETA ceasefire as ‘insufficient’

    Read more

COMMENT(S)