Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Concerns grow as hobby drone use increases

Read more

WEB NEWS

Buffalo residents share stunning images of the snowstorm

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

Asia-pacific

Gunmen torch Afghan-bound NATO supply trucks

Video by FRANCE 24

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-10-01

Gunmen in southern Pakistan have set ablaze more than two dozen trucks carrying NATO supplies to Afghanistan, less than a day after Pakistan blocked a vital transport route following the deaths of three soldiers in an alleged NATO air strike.

AFP - Gunmen in southern Pakistan on Friday torched more than two dozen trucks and tankers carrying supplies for NATO forces in Afghanistan, police said.

Attacks on trucks carrying goods for US and NATO-led forces are routine. But Friday's incident came a day after Pakistan blocked the convoys following the deaths of three Pakistani soldiers blamed on cross-border NATO fire.

"Around 20 attackers armed with rocket launchers and assault rifles attacked these trucks. They set ablaze 27 trucks parked there," district police chief Abdul Hameed Khoso told AFP of the pre-dawn attack.

The incident took place in Shikarpur district of the southern province of Sindh and was confirmed by another top administrative official.

Officials said the main land route for NATO supplies remained blocked and no trucks were being allowed to enter Afghanistan for the second consecutive day Friday.

"Trucks carrying fuel and other goods for NATO are still not allowed to enter Afghanistan," an administrative official at Torkham, the main border crossing in Pakistan's Khyber district, told AFP by telephone.

A security official in the northwestern city of Peshawar also confirmed that convoys were suspended for second day and that they had not received fresh orders to restore the supplies for NATO.

NATO said aircraft had entered Pakistani airspace Thursday in self-defence and killed "several armed individuals" after the crews believed they had been fired at from the ground.

It was the fourth such strike this week by NATO helicopters pursuing militants into Pakistani territory in actions that have been condemned by the government.

Khyber is on the main NATO supply route through Pakistan into Afghanistan, where more than 152,000 US and NATO forces are fighting an intensifying Taliban insurgency.

The Pakistani government said it was investigating Thursday's incident in the Kurram district of the northwestern tribal belt, which Washington has branded an Al-Qaeda headquarters and hub of militants fighting in Afghanistan.
 

Date created : 2010-10-01

  • PAKISTAN

    Pakistan blocks NATO Afghan supplies after fatal air strike

    Read more

  • PAKISTAN

    Senior al Qaeda leader 'killed' in US drone strike, say Pakistani officials

    Read more

  • AFGHANISTAN

    NATO forces kill dozens of militants in Pakistan after cross-border pursuit

    Read more

COMMENT(S)