Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola in Nigeria: First death outside of Lagos

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Niger : Top Oppostion figure to be questioned in baby trafficking scandal

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Liberia: President dismisses top officials who ignored call back

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: WHO Says Cases Could Exceed 20,000 (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

How to Stop Ebola: WHO Says Cases Could Exceed 20,000

Read more

WEB NEWS

'Ice Bucket Challenge' angers anti-abortion activists

Read more

#TECH 24

Tomorrow's Transport Today

Read more

FOCUS

Mothers and children leaving Honduras at all costs

Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

  • Russian troops have entered Ukraine, says Kiev

    Read more

  • PSG face Barcelona, Ajax in tough Champions League draw

    Read more

  • In pictures: Billions of locusts invade Madagascan capital

    Read more

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie say ‘I do’ in France

    Read more

  • Erdogan sworn in as Turkey's president

    Read more

  • Assad cannot be partner in fight against terrorism, says Hollande

    Read more

  • New Ebola case in Nigeria brings death toll to 1,552

    Read more

  • Video: 'Neither Baghdad nor the US can defeat the Islamic State'

    Read more

  • Platini will not run against Blatter for FIFA presidency

    Read more

  • Air France pilots announce week-long strike in September

    Read more

  • New French economy minister takes swipe at 35-hour work week

    Read more

  • Uzi shooting by 9-year-old rekindles gun debate

    Read more

  • Mother of American journalist asks IS leader for his release

    Read more

  • UN probe accuses Syrian regime, Islamists of ‘crimes against humanity’

    Read more

  • Uruguayans sign up to grow marijuana at home

    Read more

  • Missouri governor appoints black public safety director

    Read more

Americas

Witness hurdle delays first Guantanamo civilian trial

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2010-10-06

The first trial of a former Guantanamo Bay inmate in a civilian court was delayed on Wednesday after the New York judge told prosecutors he would not allow testimony from their key witness.

AFP - A judge on Wednesday barred a key government witness from appearing in the trial of a former Guantanamo inmate, in a setback to the US administration's bid to try terrorism suspects in civilian courts.

Judge Lewis Kaplan postponed the first trial in a civilian court of a former inmate from the notorious US military prison in Cuba until Tuesday to give prosecutors time to appeal his ruling.

Kaplan ruled that the witness, Hussein Abebe, could not testify in the trial of Ahmed Khalfan Ghailani who is accused of a key role in the killing of 224 people during the bombings against two US embassies in Africa in 1998.

It was the second time that Ghailani's high-profile, landmark trial has been postponed by the New York court.

Kaplan said he was barring Abebe because his "testimony would be the product of statements made by Ghailani to the CIA under duress."

Abebe could not testify because he had been uncovered by the US authorities as a "direct result of statements made by Ghailani while he was held by the CIA," Kaplan added.

Arrested in Pakistan in 2004, Ghailani is the sole inmate of the notorious Guantanamo facility in Cuba to have been transferred into the US civilian justice system.

Ghailani was also subjected to what the government calls "enhanced interrogation" at Central Intelligence Agency secret prisons, which his lawyers have described as torture.

The ruling was a serious blow to the government case and goes to the root of how to try terrorism suspects who have undergone such "enhanced interrogations."

The judge emphasized that in his ruling, "even if he was found not guilty in this case", Ghailani would possibly be detained for life as an "enemy combatant."

President Barack Obama's plans to close Guantanamo and bring five alleged plotters of the September 11, 2001 attacks to trial in New York have proved controversial because opponents believe terror suspects should be denied US legal rights.

Date created : 2010-10-06

  • USA

    Osama bin Laden’s former cook sentenced to 14 years

    Read more

  • USA

    Delayed trial begins for Guantanamo's youngest inmate

    Read more

  • UK

    Guantanamo torture lawsuits against Britain get green light

    Read more

COMMENT(S)