Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

As France’s Carrefour pulls out, what next for India’s retail market?

Read more

#TECH 24

Internet of Things

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014 (part 2)

Read more

REPORTERS

Halal tourism on the rise

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - July 25th, 2014

Read more

#THE 51%

Sweden: A Feminist's Paradise?

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Search of Air Algerie crash site continues

Read more

WEB NEWS

NSA targets 'Tor' network users

Read more

WEB NEWS

Web users call for peace in Gaza

Read more

  • Israel denies responsibility for air strike on Gaza hospital

    Read more

  • France offers asylum to Iraqi Christians

    Read more

  • Moroccan police arrest French al-Qaeda recruiter

    Read more

  • French footballer Griezmann headed to Atletico Madrid

    Read more

  • Video: Slaviansk mourns mass grave victims

    Read more

  • Luc Besson’s sci-fi thriller ‘Lucy’ tops US box office

    Read more

  • France honours those lost on Air Algérie Flight AH5017

    Read more

  • Video: Ethiopia turns to wine to boost image, economy

    Read more

  • Thousands gather in Marseille in support of Israel

    Read more

  • As France’s Carrefour pulls out, what next for India’s retail market?

    Read more

  • Liberia tightens border controls to curb Ebola outbreak

    Read more

  • The centenary of Austria-Hungary’s calamitous last hurrah

    Read more

  • UN Security Council calls for immediate Gaza ceasefire

    Read more

  • Nibali joins elite group with Tour de France win

    Read more

  • France calls on its nationals to leave Libya as violence escalates

    Read more

  • Boko Haram kidnap Cameroon minister's wife in deadly attack

    Read more

  • Muslims prepare for Eid al-Fitr festival

    Read more

  • ‘Irresponsible’ American dad tries to scale Mont Blanc with children

    Read more

  • Ukraine fighting prevents observers from accessing MH17 crash site

    Read more

Africa

War crimes trial of Congolese militia leader Lubanga to resume

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-10-08

The International Criminal Court has reversed a decision to free Congolese warlord Thomas Lubanga, ordering the resumption of his trial for war crimes.

AFP - The International Criminal Court on Friday ordered the resumption of the war crimes trial of Congolese militia leader Thomas Lubanga, stalled since July, and reversed an order to free him.

"The decision to stay proceedings must be reversed," judge Sang-Hyun Song, president of the court's appeals chamber, said in The Hague.

Lubanga, 49, went on trial in January 2009 accused of using children under the age of 15 to fight for his militia during the five-year civil war in the Democratic Republic of Congo which ended in 2003.

The ICC suspended his trial on July 8 after criticising chief prosecutor Luis Moreno-Ocampo for abusing court processes and ignoring judges' orders.

Ocampo had been ordered to disclose to Lubanga's defence team the name of an "intermediary" used by prosecution investigators to find witnesses, which he refused to do citing security concerns.

On July 15, the court ordered that Lubanga be freed as his detention was "no longer fair" given the suspension of the trial. The execution of this ruling was delayed pending the outcome of the prosecutor's appeal against both decisions.

While the prosecutor's behaviour was wrong, said Song, the trial chamber's decision to stay the proceedings was "drastic".

"The trial chamber erred by resorting immediately to a stay of proceedings without first imposing sanctions and allowing such sanctions an opportunity to bring about the prosecution's compliance with its order."

Since the decision to release Lubanga was predicated on an incorrect decision, "so too the decision to release Mr Lubanga Dyilo must be reversed," said the judge.

The office of the prosecutor welcomed the decision in a statement.

"Victims can rest assured that this trial wil be continued and that his (Lubanga's) criminal responsibility will be decided by the judges at the conclusion of a fair trial."

Lubanga, who surrendered to the ICC in March 2006, has pleaded not guilty. His defence team accuses prosecutors of using false witnesses.

Lubanga's trial, the ICC's first, was initially to have started in June 2008 but was stalled when the court ruled that prosecutors had wrongly withheld evidence that was potentially favourable to his defence.

The prosecution alleges that militia under his control abducted children as young as 11 from their homes, schools and football fields and took them to military training camps where they were beaten and drugged. The girls among them were used as sex slaves.

Rights abuses in DR Congo
The child soldiers were allegedly deployed in combat between September 2002 and August 2003.

Lubanga is accused of having sought to maintain and expand his control over the Congo's eastern Ituri region, one of the world's most lucrative gold-mining areas, where rights groups say inter-ethnic fighting has claimed 60,000 lives over the last decade.

While partly upholding the prosecution's appeal, the court remained critical of Moreno-Ocampo's behaviour.

"Whatever powers and duties the prosecutor may have, they cannot supplant the ultimate authority of the trial chamber to determine what constitutes a fair trial".

A hearing will be held on Monday to determine a trial resumption date.
 

Date created : 2010-10-08

  • Congo

    Congo rebel commander arrested following mass rape of civilians

    Read more

  • DR CONGO

    UN report accuses regional armies, rebel groups of war crimes

    Read more

  • DR CONGO

    UN admits failure to prevent Congo mass rapes

    Read more

COMMENT(S)