Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

THE DEBATE

Next stop, Westminster: Supreme Court orders Brexit parliament vote (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

Next stop, Westminster: Supreme Court orders Brexit parliament vote (part 2)

Read more

FOCUS

Iranian women push boundaries through sport

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Crowds, Lies & Alternative Facts

Read more

ENCORE!

Backstage at the Haute Couture show of designer Julien Fournié

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

President Trump pulls US out of TPP trade deal

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Donald Trump is rolling back the clock on diversity in the cabinet'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Did France's left inflate turnout figures in round one of the primary?

Read more

ACROSS AFRICA

Dozens killed in attack on military camp in Mali

Read more

Europe

Prime minister visits toxic sludge-hit area

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-10-13

Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and members of his cabinet visited the area that was devastated by a toxic sludge spill last week, as the death toll from the industrial accident rose to nine on Wednesday.

REUTERS - Prime Minister Viktor Orban visited the area around an alumina plant which flooded parts of western Hungary with toxic sludge last week and his government will decide later on Wednesday whether to restart production.
 
Latest checks showed no further deterioration in the damaged wall of its giant reservoir, Gyorgyi Tottos, a spokeswoman for disaster crews on the scene, told Reuters.
 
Orban has blamed “human negligence” for the escape of industrial waste at MAL Zrt’s plant that killed nine people, injured over 120 and polluted a tributary of the Danube.
 
The National Disaster Unit said on its website the latest victim died in hospital on Wednesday of injuries sustained during the spill.
 
Hungarian police secured the firm’s premises on Tuesday and took over the MAL’s information systems after parliament rushed through emergency legislation allowing the centre-right government to take control of the company and its assets.
 
Disaster Commissioner Gyorgy Bakondi said on Tuesday that the firm would remain under state control until it pays off the costs of the clean-up operation, financed in advance by the state, newspaper Nepszabadsag reported on Wednesday.
 
Crews in the evacuated village of Kolontar, nearest to the failed reservoir, have nearly finished a 600-metre-long emergency dam crossing the village to protect the area from a potential second waste overflow.
 
Kolontar was evacuated on Saturday after cracks appeared in the northern wall of the reservoir which could let out a further 500,000 cubic metres of caustic sludge if the wall fails again.
 
Zoltan Bakonyi, head of MAL—a key employer in the region, remained in police custody pending a court decision on his arrest due later on Wednesday, police said.
 
“The investigating authority’s data thus far maximally support the decision to detain (Bakonyi) and the suspicions against him,” police spokeswoman Monika Benyi told Reuters.
 
Bakonyi failed to prepare contingency measures for a reservoir wall failure scenario, police said on Tuesday. Bakonyi had raised a complaint against being taken into custody and against the suspicions against him, police said.

 

Date created : 2010-10-13

  • HUNGARY

    Parliament nationalises toxic sludge company

    Read more

  • HUNGARY

    Town evacuated on new leak fears as toxic sludge toll rises

    Read more

  • HUNGARY

    Toll rises as toxic sludge spill reaches Danube

    Read more

COMMENT(S)