Latest update: 29/10/2010
- Angela Merkel - Germany - immigration - integration
Europe's fear of Islam (Part 2)
As the German president touches down in Turkey this evening for a 5-day visit, the stakes are clear. 3-and-a-half million Turks or people of Turkish origin live in Germany and Berlin is Ankara's top trade partner. It should have been an innocuous trip, but not after weekend comments by the Chancellor in which Angela Merkel said the multiculturalism has utterly failed. Is Merkel stoking xenophobia, and more precisely "Islamophobia"?
- Alfio CERAMI, Research Associate, Centre for European Studies, Sciences Po Paris
- Author of Migration and welfare in the 'new' Europe
- Fabrice POZZOLI, Business Editor, Paris-Berlin magazine
- Fouad Al OBAID, Columnist, Kuweit Times
- Nadja HIRSCH, MEP, Group of the Alliance of Liberals and Democrats for Europe
Program prepared by Perrine Desplats and Yi Song.