Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

NYT: Germanwings pilot was locked out of cockpit before crash

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

A food goliath in the making

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Fans distraught as Zayn leaves One Direction

Read more

FOCUS

French baking taking over the world

Read more

ENCORE!

Carl Barat’s Glory Days

Read more

DEBATE

French Alps plane crash: Investigators have no explanation so far (part 1)

Read more

DEBATE

French Alps plane crash: Investigators have no explanation so far (part 2)

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Nigeria's Agriculture Minister defends Goodluck Jonathan's track record

Read more

WEB NEWS

Mexico wants Carmen Arestegui back on air

Read more

Africa

Candidates appeal for calm as Guinea runoff vote is put on hold

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-10-24

Guinean leaders appealed for calm Saturday amid reports of further clashes between supporters of the two rival candidates in the country's presidential runoff vote, which has been delayed twice due to simmering ethnic tensions.

AFP - The two candidates in Guinea's presidential election appealed for calm Saturday, asking their followers to avoid ethnic tensions, and the country's transitional president condemned violence after the run-off vote was postponed for the second time.

The separate appeals came after shops owned by the Fula people were looted or destroyed in Conakry, Kankan and Siguiri on Friday and Saturday, according to witnesses.

General Sekouba Konate, appointed nine months ago to guide Guinea to its first free presidential elections, warned late Saturday he would not allow Guineans to "be hunted down because of their ethnic, religious or political background."

Speaking on state television, backed by armed soldiers, Konate condemned violence that had hit "the entire country," adding: "The unity of the nation will be preserved at any price."

As well as the looting of the Fulani shops, clashes were reported between followers of the two candidates in the runoff that should have taken place on Sunday -- Alpha Conde, an ethnic Malinke, and Cellou Dalein Diallo, a Fulani.

"The state will assume all its responsibilities against all troublemakers, it will be zero tolerance for delinquants and those responsible for criminal acts," Konate vowed.

Konate, former defence minister in the junta that took power late in 2008 on the death of longtime leader Lansana Conte, accused the transitional government headed by civilian Jean-Marie Dore of having "done nothing to speed up the electoral process."

Longtime opposition leader Conde, who garnered 18 percent of the vote in the first round, said Saturday: "I am calling on all our activists to remain calm."

"Some are manipulating young people... We will do everything to avoid tensions between ethnic groups," said Conde.

Former prime minister Diallo, who won 43 percent of the vote in the June 27 first round, meanwhile asked his followers "to refrain from revenge attacks to preserve the country's peace and unity."

But he accused security forces of provoking violence, raping and carrying out arbitrary arrests.

"For five days we have seen a crackdown in neighbourhoods known to be Union of Democratic Forces of Guinea (UFDG) strongholds," he said, referring to his own party.

Since the first round, both sides have charged their opponent's supporters with inciting violence and disrupting the organisation of the vote, which aims to return the country to civilian rule after 25 years of military regimes, dictatorship and corruption.
 

Date created : 2010-10-24

  • GUINEA

    Electoral commission delays presidential run-off

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    ‘Deplorable’ lack of preparation could delay Guinea election

    Read more

COMMENT(S)