Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Spain 'goes nuclear' on Catalonia

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Civil rights leader Al Sharpton says Trump 'channels' racism

Read more

THE DEBATE

Moment of truth: Spain sets in motion direct rule over Catalonia

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

Must it come down? Market analysts bracing for correction

Read more

FOCUS

Italian regions of Lombardy and Veneto to vote on autonomy

Read more

THE POLITICAL BRIEF

France considers tough new laws to crack down on sexual harassment

Read more

ENCORE!

Inside the new Yves Saint Laurent museum in Morocco

Read more

INSIDE THE AMERICAS

California: When your home is reduced to ashes

Read more

FRENCH CONNECTIONS

#balancetonporc: Sexual harassment and gender inequality in France

Read more

Europe

Three arrested in Naples landfill protest scuffle

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-10-25

Authorities in Naples arrested three men on Monday for assaulting police during a protest against landfills in the area. Thousands of people had gathered to call for the Cava Sari dump to be closed and plans for a second one dropped.

AFP - Three men were arrested early Monday for assaulting police officers near Naples during a protest against landfills in the area, police said, but there were no major violent clashes.

Thousands of local residents protested on Sunday in Terzigno, some 20 kilometres (12 miles) south of Naples, to demand that authorities close the existing Cava Sari landfill and scrap plans for a second one, Cava Vitiello.

The second dump is planned to be Europe's biggest, with a capacity of three million tonnes, and both are inside the territory of the Vesuvius National Park.

The European Union and local authorities have also demanded that the Cava Vitiello plan be scrapped.

A meeting is planned for Tuesday between mayors of the area and the head of the civil protection agency, Guido Bertolaso, who is dealing with the crisis.

Monday's overnight arrests came after two police cars in the area were surrounded by around 40 youths who attacked the officers.

Dozens of people were injured last week during clashes between protesters and police, as the waste disposal crisis in the Naples region escalated.

Protesters had staged sit-ins and erected barricades in the streets to try and block garbage trucks from unloading at the Cava Sari dump.

The crisis is politically sensitive as a previous, more serious waste crisis in Naples contributed to the electoral defeat of Italy's centre-left government in 2008 and the coming to power of Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi.
 

Date created : 2010-10-25

  • ITALY

    Tens of thousands march in Rome to defend labour rights

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Berlusconi under investigation for tax evasion

    Read more

  • ITALY

    Tens of thousands take to the streets for 'No Berlusconi Day'

    Read more

COMMENT(S)