Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Concerns grow as hobby drone use increases

Read more

WEB NEWS

Buffalo residents share stunning images of the snowstorm

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

Africa

Conde confident of victory as clashes break out

Video by Nicolas Germain

Text by FRANCE 24

Latest update : 2010-11-15

Supporters of Guinean presidential candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo clashed with security forces on Monday as rival candidate Alpha Conde claimed victory in a run-off vote that has yet to produce a winner. One person was reported dead in the clashes.

Supporters of presidential candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo clashed with Guinean government forces in Conakry on Monday after Diallo said he would not accept provisional results of Guinea's long-delayed presidential election until claims of widespread fraud are investigated.

At least one person died and dozens were injured in the clashes, a police source told AFP.

Reports of the violence came as Diallo's rival, Alpha Conde, proclaimed himself the winner of the Nov. 7 run-off vote. So far, there has been no official announcement of results.

On Sunday, former premier Diallo renewed his allegations of mass fraud a day before the country’s election commission planned to deliver the final vote count, almost one week after the results were scheduled to appear.

“It’s pretty obvious that he believes the commission will announce that Alpha Conde has won,” said Nicolas Germain, FRANCE 24's special correspondent in Conakry.

In Guinea's capital city soldiers were deployed on most street corners and in force at the electoral commission, where authorities fear that supporters of Diallo’s Union of Democratic Forces in Guinea (UDFG) may start rioting.

At a press conference Sunday, Diallo said that delegates of his party had not been able to observe voting in certain regions, and urged the electoral commission to delay announcing results until fraud allegations are investigated. Diallo also said he wanted the electoral commission to cancel the votes in the disputed regions.

“Diallo said that if the second round had been delayed for four months, then the country could also wait a little longer for the proclamation of the results,” Germain said shortly after the press conference.

Diallo picked up 43.69 percent of ballots cast in the first round of voting in June, while Conde of the Rally for the People of Guinea (RPG) took 18.25 percent.

The election was intended to end 52 years of dictatorship and military rule in the mineral-rich west African country.

Delays stoke ethnic tensions

“The results of the second round produced a very equal turnout – the most dangerous outcome,” explained Douglas Yates, a professor of political science at the American University of Paris.

Yates said the repeated delays that followed Diallo’s resounding first round victory had stoked animosity towards Diallo’s Peul ethnic group. Other candidates and ethnic groups formed an anti-Peul coalition around Conde.

“Several thousand Peul people had to flee persecution in districts in the north, and it’s in these districts that Diallo claims he didn’t get a fair chance,” Yates said, warning that for the first time in its history Guinea "appears to be on the verge of inter-communal violence."

A peaceful first round was followed by weeks of rows over results and over the leadership of the election commission, with street clashes erupting between supporters of the rival candidates. Violent confrontations in three separate districts of Conakry on Sep. 12 left one person dead and 50 injured, according to officials.

A close finish between two candidates who have been subjected to persecution and who rally support by appealing to traditional ethnic allegiances has set up a potentially explosive situation ahead of the final results.

Germain said youths gathered outside the headquarters where Diallo gave his press conference could be heard singing "we will not let them steal our victory”.

Schools in the capital Conakry have been closed for the past 10 days, and national television has been broadcasting appeals to avoid election-related violence ahead of the Islamic feast of Eid al-Adha on Tuesday.
 

Date created : 2010-11-15

  • GUINEA

    Presidential hopeful boycotts vote count over alleged fraud

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Accusations of fraud delay Guinea election results

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Ethnic tensions mar historic Guinean presidential election

    Read more

COMMENT(S)