Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

IN THE PAPERS

2014-07-22 07:21 IN THE FRENCH PRESS

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Is there such a thing as "telegenic" victims of war?

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Michel Sidibé, UNAIDS Executive Director

Read more

TALKING EUROPE

Dalia Grybauskaite, President of the Republic of Lithuania

Read more

WEB NEWS

Online scammers exploit MH17 crash

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Too many graphic images from Gaza ?

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Gaza: online reactions

Read more

BUSINESS DAILY

Rise of the Robots

Read more

FOCUS

Overfishing and the global appetite for bluefin tuna: can Tokyo turn the tide?

Read more

  • Hollande says French warship delivery will ‘depend on Russia’s attitude’

    Read more

  • Israeli soldier missing in Gaza, say media reports

    Read more

  • Ukraine rebels release bodies, black boxes from flight MH17

    Read more

  • A call for harmony in riot-hit ‘Little Jerusalem’ Paris suburb

    Read more

  • Widodo poised to become Indonesian president

    Read more

  • An ‘explosion of violence’: French press reacts to Gaza protests

    Read more

  • Notorious ‘VIP’ prison in Paris closed for renovations

    Read more

  • Christians in Iraq's Mosul face execution or exodus

    Read more

  • Scores killed as Libyan militias fight over airport

    Read more

  • Ukraine football players refuse to return home after friendly in France

    Read more

  • China steps up communist education to guard against ‘moral decline’

    Read more

  • French rugby stars attacked with machetes and swords

    Read more

  • Hollande announces new military operation in West Africa

    Read more

  • Kristoff wins Tour’s flat Stage 15

    Read more

Africa

State of emergency remains in Guinea as death toll rises

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-11-18

Guinea remained under a state of emergency on Thursday, after the nation's disputed presidential election sparked widespread violence across the country. The death toll has now risen to seven.

AFP - Guinea was under a state of emergency Thursday amid growing international concern over deadly post-election violence and with tension building ahead of a Supreme Court ruling on the disputed result.

Interim president General Sekouba Konate, who has led the troubled country since January, said emergency rule would remain in place until the results of the presidential run-off, won by opposition leader Alpha Conde, had been confirmed by the court.
  
Losing candidate Cellou Dalein Diallo insists he won the Novermber 7 poll and is challenging the results, citing massive voter fraud.
  
The state of emergency announcement came as the unofficial death toll since Monday rose to seven.
  
"The president of the republic decrees a state of emergency throughout the country as of today November 17 until the proclamation of definitive presidential election results by the Supreme Court," said Major Mohamed Kasse, reading the decree on national television.
  
That meant "any protest, any gathering" was forbidden, Kasse told AFP.
  
While various sources have reported at least seven deaths in violent clashes following the announcement of election results, the government up until now has not announced any fatalities.
  
However, following the deaths of four people in earlier unrest, three more bodies were discovered Wednesday in Ratoma, the only suburb in Conakry which defeated candidate Diallo won in the vote.
  
While Diallo, a member of the Fulani ethnic group, called on his backers to refrain from violence his supporters have clashed with security forces in several of his strongholds around the country.
  
Guinea's interim Prime Minister, Jean Marie Dore, blamed the violence on Diallo's supporters whom he branded "hooligans".
  
He said Diallo had sparked the protests on Monday with his fraud claims after the victory of Alpha Conde, who won 52.52 percent of the votes against Diallo's 47.48 percent.
  
But some rights groups, journalists and eye-witnesses observers have raised concerns of excessive force by Guinean security forces.
  
Diallo himself accused them of "savage brutality" against his supporters and members of his Fulani ethnic group.
  
The United States condemned the violence Wednesday.
  
"Such incidents have no place in the democratic society that Guinea aspires to become," said US State Department spokesman Philip Crowley said.
  
The US called on the country's political leaders to restrain their supporters and make any challenge to the result via the "established constitutional procedures", he added.
  
After a campaign marred by inter-ethnic clashes between the two majority tribes, the Fulani and Malinke, Conde reached out to his rival after being announced the victor, saying it was "time to join hands".
  
The election is the country's first ever shot at democracy after over 50 years of authoritarian and military rule.
  
If the Supreme Court confirms the election results, Conde will become the fifth leader of Guinea, ruling a country which is desperately poor, despite massive stores of bauxite and iron ore.

 

Date created : 2010-11-18

  • GUINEA

    Guinea declares state of emergency amid post-election violence

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Accusations of fraud delay Guinea election results

    Read more

  • GUINEA

    Guinea faces tense wait after peaceful presidential run-off

    Read more

COMMENT(S)