Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

FOCUS

Pro-Opposition stronghold Port-Gentil feverishly awaits presidential elections

Read more

ENCORE!

Alexis Michalik: treading the boards in the footsteps of 'Edmond'

Read more

REPORTERS

Getting away with murder in DR Congo

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

'Why does Italy refuse to see the seismic risk?'

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

"The burkini trap"

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Should men also be 'liberated from oppressive beachwear'?

Read more

EYE ON AFRICA

Kenyan Government disbands National Olympic Committee over mismanagement

Read more

THE DEBATE

France's Burkini Ban: Identity politics go to the beach (part 1)

Read more

THE DEBATE

France's Burkini Ban: Identity politics go to the beach (part 2)

Read more

Europe

'Third-most-wanted' Nazi suspect dies ahead of trial

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-11-22

A Nazi suspect charged with taking part in the murder of Jews at the Belzec death camp in Poland has died before the start of his trial, German prosecutors say.

AFP - Nazi death camp guard Samuel Kunz, number three on the Simon Wiesenthal Center's most wanted list, has died aged 89, just months before he was due to stand trial, German prosecutors said Monday.

"Samuel Kunz died on November 18 at 5:30 pm, most likely at his home" in Germany, prosecutor Andreas Brendel, head of the central Nazi war crimes investigation unit, told AFP.
  
"We have the death certificate," Brendel added.
  
Kunz had admitted working at the Belzec extermination camp in German-occupied Poland in 1942-3 and was charged in July with helping murder 430,000 Jews.
  
He was also charged over the deaths of another 10 Jews in two separate incidents which also allegedly occurred at Belzec.
  
"The court was just about to decide on the opening of the trial. It was set to start in Bonn in February," Brendel said.
  
He had been called as a witness in another Nazi war crimes trial, that of alleged death camp guard John Demjanjuk, 90, a Ukrainian-born former US auto worker deported to Munich from the United States last May.
  
Kunz, whose flat was raided by police in January, denied being personally involved in killing people, prosecutors said at the time of the raid.
  
Efraim Zuroff, director of the Nazi-hunting Simon Wiesenthal Centre in Jerusalem, told AFP: "The overriding feeling is one of terrible frustration."
  
"After decades in which this man lived freely in Germany, it looked like there was finally going to be a trial. Now of course that won't happen.
  
"The only consolation is that he was charged, he was exposed and at least a small measure of justice was achieved."
  
Since the Nuremberg trials after the war, where several top Nazi henchmen were sentenced to death, German authorities have examined more than 25,000 cases but the vast majority never came to court.
  
But now, with many of the suspected war criminals in their nineties, there has been a flurry of arrests and court cases dealing with war-time atrocities, in what Nazi-hunters say is a welcome change of policy in Berlin.
  
The most high-profile case is that of Demjanjuk, 90, whose trial began last November on charges of assisting in the murder of 27,900 people while allegedly a guard at the Sobibor death camp. He denies the charges.

 

Date created : 2010-11-22

  • GERMANY

    Most-wanted Nazi suspect charged with killing of 430,000 Jews

    Read more

COMMENT(S)