Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

WEB NEWS

Concerns grow as hobby drone use increases

Read more

WEB NEWS

Buffalo residents share stunning images of the snowstorm

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Senegalese photographer's flashbacks to Africans throughout history

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Hollande photographed with Julie Gayet on Elysée Palace balcony

Read more

REVISITED

Is Beirut still haunted by ghosts of the civil war?

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Band Aid 30 - Hit or Miss? Bob Geldof in Hot Water over Ebola Single

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

Deal or No Deal with Iran? Home Stretch to Reach Historic Agreement

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Football scandals: The ugly side of the beautiful game

Read more

#THE 51%

Ending violence against women: The dangers of trial by Twitter

Read more

Asia-pacific

At marines' funeral, commander calls for revenge against North

Video by Nicholas RUSHWORTH

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-11-27

As South Korea mourned its two servicemen and two civilians killed in an unprovoked attack by North Korea last week, the commander of the South Korean Marine Corps, Yoo Nak Joon, called for retaliation on Saturday.

REUTERS - South Korea’s Marine commander on Saturday vowed “thousand-fold” revenge for a North Korean attack that killed two servicemen as protesters demanded tougher action by the government against its reclusive neighbour.

The two Marines were honoured with a gun salute as families wailed and grim-faced officials saluted the funeral cortege, days after North Korea rained shells on a tiny island in the heaviest attack on South Korea since the 1950-53 civil war.
 
“All Marines, including Marines on service and reserve Marines, will avenge the two at any cost, keeping today’s anger and hostility in mind,” said Lieutenant General Yoo Nak Joon, commander of the South Korean Marine Corps.
 
“We will put our feelings of rage and animosity in our bones and take our revenge on North Korea.”
 
Two Marines and two civilians were killed in the attack. South Korea responded with artillery fire 13 minutes later, but it was not clear what damage was caused.
 
The funeral was followed by anti-North Korea protests in the capital as a U.S. nuclear-powered aircraft carrier headed for joint manoeuvres with South Korea on Sunday, infuriating North Korea and prompting a warning from its only major ally, China.
 
“It’s time for action. Time for retaliation. Let’s hit the presidential palace in Pyongyang,” shouted close to 1,000 Marine veterans in downtown Seoul who burnt photographs of North Korean leader Kim Jong-il and his anointed successor, son Kim Jung-un.
 
Former members of the “Underwater Demolition Team”, practised in sabotage, protested against North Korea and against the government for ignoring their sacrifices on spy missions. Scuffles broke out and police used fire-extinguishers to break up the crowd.
 
“We can not help expressing our anger about the behaviour of the defence ministry and the government in general that failed to take due retaliatory action,” the group said.
 
President Lee Myung-bak held a meeting of security officials, Yonhap news agency said. South Korea’s new defence minister called for tougher action, local media reported. A Seoul newspaper also reported the government plans to sharply increase defence spending next year.
 
Regional giant China has said it is determined to prevent an escalation of the violence but warned against military acts near its coast as U.S. and South Korean forces prepare for exercises in the Yellow Sea.
 
A North Korean website (http://www.uriminzokkiri) operated by the government propaganda agency said the war drills were “another unforgivable military provocation”.
 
“(The North) will make the stronghold of the enemy a sheet of flames if they violate its territory even by 0.01 mm.”  
 
The U.S. military said the exercises, planned long before Tuesday’s attack, were designed to deter North Korea and were not aimed at China.
 
“We’ve routinely operated in waters off the Korean peninsula for years," said Captain Darryn James, a Pentagon spokesman.” These latest provocations have been by the North and they need to take ownership of those, not us.”
 
U.S. Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said North Korea’s nuclear ambitions and leader Kim Jong-il’s unpredictability increased the threat of regional instability.
 
Calling for calm after the attack, Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi met North Korean ambassador Ji Jae Ryong in Beijing and talked by phone with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and South Korean Foreign Minister Kim Sung-hwan.
 
“The top priority now is to keep the situation under control and to ensure such events do not happen again,” the Chinese Foreign Ministry said in a statement.   

 

Date created : 2010-11-27

  • KOREAS

    China urges diplomacy in Korean standoff

    Read more

  • KOREAS

    North Korea says 'reckless' South is pushing region to war

    Read more

  • KOREAS

    South Korean defence minister resigns in wake of North's attack

    Read more

COMMENT(S)