Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

Macron makes Time 100 as France revolts

Read more

THE DEBATE

Turkey's rush to the polls: Erdogan calls snap election to cement his power

Read more

THE POLITICAL BRIEF

France's Macron likens divisions within EU to 'civil war'

Read more

ENCORE!

Sting and Shaggy on making musical magic together

Read more

FOCUS

The citizens finding solutions to Lebanon's chronic waste crisis

Read more

THE INTERVIEW

Head of UN entity probing war crimes in Syria speaks to FRANCE 24

Read more

PEOPLE & PROFIT

The future of work: How the gig economy is changing the jobs market

Read more

PERSPECTIVE

'France has underinvested in early childhood education for many years'

Read more

IN THE PRESS

'Badass': Accolades pour in for Southwest pilot who landed plane after engine failure

Read more

Culture

Frenchman with stash of Picasso paintings faces legal battle

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-11-29

A retired French electrician has revealed he is in possession of more than 200 previously unknown works by Pablo Picasso thought to be worth around 60 million euros, landing himself in a legal dispute with Picasso’s heirs.

AFP - A 71-year-old retired electrician is at the centre of a legal battle after coming forward with more than 200 hitherto unknown paintings by Pablo Picasso, a French newspaper reported Monday.

Experts who have examined the collection have estimated it could be worth some 60 million euros (80 million dollars), Liberation reported.

Pierre Le Guennec wrote to Claude Picasso, the artist's son and the administrator of his estate, in a bid to get the canvases authenticated, and the two finally met in September.

Le Guennec said he had worked installing alarm sytems at a number of Picasso's residences, including a villa in Cannes in the south of France, during the last three years of Picasso's life -- he died in 1973.

He said he had had been given the works as presents, either by Picasso's wife or from the artist himself. The collection included 271 works, Liberation reported.

Once experts had authenticated the works however, Picasso's heirs filed a complaint alleging receipt of stolen goods.

Claude Picasso dismissed Le Guennec's claim that he could have received the paintings as gifts, telling Liberation that his father would not have given such a quantity of works to anyone.

"That doesn't stand up," he insisted. "It was a part of his life.

After Picasso's heirs filed the complaint in September, officers from the Central Office for the Fight against Traffic in Cultural Goods (OCBC) seized the works from the couple's home on the Cote d'Azur in southeast France.

Le Guennec himself was taken into custody, the paper reported, although it did not say whether he had since been released.

A spokesman from the OCBC, part of France's interior ministry, confirmed to AFP the seizure of the paintings.

The haul ranges from notebooks to drawings and completed paintings, including nine cubist works which alone are worth some 40 million euros, according to experts.

Also in the collection was an aquarelle from Picasso's blue period, portraits of his first wife Olga, as well as a number of gouaches and lithographs, Liberation reported.

Date created : 2010-11-29

  • ART

    Picasso sale sets world art-auction record

    Read more

COMMENT(S)