FIFA President Sepp Blatter (pictured) announced in Zurich on Thursday that the world football federation has selected Russia to host the 2018 World Cup and has awarded Qatar the hosting honour for 2022.
England was the first bid eliminated in the 2018 vote, going out with only two votes in the secret ballot of 22 FIFA executive committee members.
- World Cup Daily: France qualify for last 16
- World Cup Daily: Spain scrapes past Iran
- Has the corruption scandal resulted in a shift towards Asia for FIFA sponsorship?
- World Cup 2018: Can Russia prevent hooliganism, racism and clashes as it happened during the Euro 2016?
- FIFA went for the 'safe choice' in awarding the 2026 World Cup
Qatar led the voting in all rounds with 11, 10, 11 and 14.
Date created : 2010-12-02