A new video has been received of French journalists Stéphane Taponier and Hervé Ghesquière, who were kidnapped in Afghanistan on Dec. 29 last year, French officials confirmed on Monday. The video was likely taped in mid-November.
AFP - A new video of two French television journalists kidnapped a year ago by suspected Islamist insurgents east of Kabul has been released to authorities in France, a report said on Monday.
"The video has been authenticated. It was shot around mid-November," journalist and presenter Carole Gaessler said on France 3 television.
Foreign ministry spokesman Bernard Valero confirmed the date and authenticity of the video, but did not provide any further details.
Stephane Taponier and Herve Ghesquiere, a reporter and a cameraman for the state-owned channel, were kidnapped on December 30 last year in an area rife with anti-government insurgents.
In the video, Taponier talks to his family, while Ghesquiere talks to his partner, Gaessler said.
French Foreign Minister Michele Alliot-Marie on Sunday expressed hope that the two reporters would be released as soon as possible.
"We known that they are alive, relatively healthy, although it is clear that after a year things are starting to weigh," she said.
A senior French military official in September suggested that the two reporters could be rescued by Christmas, but President Nicolas Sarkozy would not confirm this.
Date created : 2010-12-20