Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

AFRICA NEWS

Air Algerie investigation continues

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Dozens of youths trampled to death on Conakry beach

Read more

AFRICA NEWS

Ebola death toll tops 700

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

UNRWA official breaks down over Gaza deaths

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults - Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds' (part 2)

Read more

DEBATE

Argentina Defaults - Kirchner Cries Foul Over 'Vulture Funds'

Read more

MEDIAWATCH

Renault's women drivers ad deemed sexist

Read more

FOCUS

Constitution prohibits Aung San Suu Kyi to run for president

Read more

THE BUSINESS INTERVIEW

War and Markets, with Steen Jakobsen, Chief Economist at Saxo Bank

Read more

  • Israel and Hamas agree on 72-hour humanitarian ceasefire

    Read more

  • Interactive: France’s new plan to counter jihadism in Africa

    Read more

  • French Jews speak of growing fear in Paris amid Gaza conflict

    Read more

  • Video: Inside Hamas ‘terror’ tunnels in Gaza

    Read more

  • France remembers murdered socialist hero Jean Jaurès

    Read more

  • Sierra Leone declares state of emergency over spread of Ebola

    Read more

  • Investigators reach MH17 site amid 24-hour ceasefire

    Read more

  • Air France ground workers to strike on August 2

    Read more

  • Scores feared dead in India landslide

    Read more

  • Russia ordered to pay further €1.9 billion to Yukos shareholders

    Read more

  • Iraq's Christians: Nowhere to Run?

    Read more

  • Russia defiant as US, EU unveil 'phase three' sanctions

    Read more

  • US House votes to sue Obama for over-reaching his powers

    Read more

  • Argentina fails to reach deal with creditors

    Read more

Europe

Court charges three over 'Mumbai-style' terrorist plot

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2010-12-31

A Copenhagen court charged three men Thursday with plotting a terrorist attack at the offices of a Danish newspaper that published caricatures of the Prophet Mohammad in 2005. A further man was remanded in custody in Sweden.

REUTERS - Three men suspected of preparing a deadly attack on a newspaper were charged by a Danish court on Thursday with plotting an act of terrorism.

Police detained four men in Denmark and one in Sweden on Wednesday on suspicion of planning an armed assault on the offices of Jyllands-Posten, the newspaper that outraged Muslims in 2005 with cartoons of the Prophet Mohammad.
 
One of those held in Denmark was released and the man arrested in Sweden was remanded in custody by a Swedish court.
 
The three charged were a 44-year-old Tunisian and two Swedish citizens aged 29 and 30.
 
Lykke Sorensen, an official of the Danish Security and Intelligence Service, told reporters at Glostrup courthouse the three, who arrived in Denmark from Sweden late on Tuesday, denied the charges.
 
They were also accused of illegally possessing weapons, Sorensen said.
 
The plot further raised fears in the Nordic region after an unsuccessful bomb attack in Stockholm earlier this month, although authorities in Sweden and Denmark have not raised alert levels.
 
The suspects in Denmark will stay in custody for four weeks.
 
In Sweden, prosecutors must present their case by Jan. 13 against the 37-year-old Swedish citizen held there. The man released in Denmark was a 26-year-old Iraqi asylum-seeker. Sorensen said he remained a suspect.
 
"The investigation will continue in close cooperation between the police, the PET and (Swedish security police) SAPO," Sorensen told reporters.
 
'Mumbai-style attack'
 
The cartoons provoked violent protests against Danish and European interests in the Middle East, Africa and Asia in which at least 50 people were killed.
 
The furore over the caricatures, including one of the Prophet with a turban resembling a bomb, has led to several plots against the paper, cartoonists and other journalists involved.
 
Danish security police chief Jakob Scharf had said the arrests prevented an imminent attack aimed to kill as many as possible at the newspaper's offices.
 
He said the plotters were probably a militant Islamist group with links to international terrorist networks and described the plot as a "Mumbai-style" attack.
 
In 2008, Pakistani gunmen killed 166 people in a three-day raid on landmarks in the Indian city, including two hotels and a Jewish centre.
 
Zubair Hussain, spokesman for the Muslim Council of Denmark representing more than 30,000 of the estimated 200,000 Muslims in the country, condemned the plotters' plans.
 
"As Danish Muslims, we feel it is important to say that this has nothing to do with Islam," he said. "We are all victims in this case. No one will ask before they blow something in the air, or before they shoot, 'are you Muslim or non-Muslim?'"
 
Swedish police began tracking three of the suspects in Sweden before they entered Denmark on the night of Dec. 28, Danish and Swedish security officials said.
 
Without giving a source for its information, a Swedish paper said SAPO had a tracking device on the suspects' car.
 
Swedish police said the plot had no known links to the Dec. 11 bomb blasts in Stockholm.

 

Date created : 2010-12-31

COMMENT(S)