Open

Coming up

Don't miss

Replay


LATEST SHOWS

MEDIAWATCH

No strategy and a beige suit

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014 (part 2)

Read more

THE WORLD THIS WEEK

The World This Week - 29 August 2014

Read more

ENCORE!

Alain Choquette: A Hilarious Magician in Paris

Read more

FOCUS

France welcomes Iraqi Christian refugees

Read more

FRANCE IN FOCUS

Emmanuel Macron: A new economy minister with a pro-business agenda

Read more

THE OBSERVERS

More of this year's best Observers stories

Read more

#TECH 24

Changing the world, one video game at a time

Read more

IN THE PAPERS

Socialist Party summer conference kicks off in explosive atmosphere

Read more

  • Exclusive: Fabius warns of further sanctions against Russia

    Read more

  • Experimental Ebola drug ‘ZMapp’ heals all monkeys in study

    Read more

  • IMF stands behind Lagarde amid French corruption probe

    Read more

  • Ukraine to relaunch NATO membership bid

    Read more

  • Suriname leader’s son pleads guilty to courting Hezbollah

    Read more

  • British killer escapes from French psychiatric hospital

    Read more

  • Chelsea’s Torres set for AC Milan switch

    Read more

  • Police hunt for British boy with brain tumour taken to France

    Read more

  • France shines in IMF list of world’s promising economists

    Read more

  • Mapping Ukraine: Canada and Russia in ‘tweet for tat’ row

    Read more

  • First case of Ebola confirmed in Senegal

    Read more

  • Obama has 'no strategy yet' on potential Syria strikes

    Read more

  • Netflix to woo French with ‘House of Cards’ set in Marseille

    Read more

  • French businesses ‘hoping for a new Thatcher’

    Read more

  • Syrian refugees surpass 3 million, UN says

    Read more

  • West backs Ukrainian claims of Russian incursion

    Read more

  • Libyan PM resigns as Islamists set up rival administration

    Read more

  • UN says 43 peacekeepers captured in Golan Heights

    Read more

  • The deleted tweets of Manuel Valls

    Read more

  • Peru seizes record 6.5 tonnes of Europe-bound cocaine

    Read more

Europe

Constitutional court curbs Berlusconi immunity law

Video by Oliver FARRY

Text by News Wires

Latest update : 2011-01-14

Italy's Constitutional Court has partially rejected a law giving Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi and cabinet ministers immunity from prosecution, handing judges the power to decide whether the prime minister should appear in court.

REUTERS - Italy's constitutional court ruled on Thursday that a law which has protected Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi from prosecution for corruption and fraud was partially invalid and judges could order him to stand trial.

The court ruled in a statement that the law, which allows cabinet ministers including Berlusconi to claim exemption from going to court because of their official duties, was not consistent in key points with the constitution.

The ruling by the 15-member court will further weaken the 74-year-old premier, who is battling to shore up his fragile centre-right government after scraping through a no-confidence vote last month.

In particular, the judges struck down the blanket exemption offered by the so-called "legitimate impediment" law and ruled that it would be up to individual trial judges to decide on a case-by-case basis whether ministers would have to face charges.

The ruling had been sought by judges in Milan, where Berlusconi faces three trials over alleged offences connected with his Mediaset broadcasting empire.

He is accused of bribing his lawyer David Mills to give false testimony and also faces charges of embezzlement and tax fraud in connection with the sale of television rights.

With his government clinging on to power after a split with former ally Gianfranco Fini last year, some commentators had speculated that an unfavourable decision could prompt a fresh crisis and bring early elections.

 

'No danger to government'

Before the decision, Berlusconi, who rejects the charges against him and says he is being targeted unfairly by politically motivated judges, brushed off any suggestion that the ruling could threaten his coalition administration.

"There is no danger to the stability of the government, whatever the outcome of the constitutional court's decision," he told reporters on Wednesday.

The government's main spokesman, Paolo Bonaiuti, dismissed a report in the newspaper La Repubblica that a rejection of the law by the court would immediately open an election campaign.

"That is absolutely not the case," he told La7 television.

"Italians want this government to continue going forward on the path of reforms now that the country is finally emerging from the global crisis."

Berlusconi, the billionaire owner of Italy's biggest private broadcaster, has been in conflict with judges since he launched his political career in 1994 and he says he has faced more than 100 different court cases.

His lawyers say the "legitimate impediment" law, which has effectively suspended any court dates until after October when it is due to expire, exists to enable him to carry out his duties without the distraction of legal battles.

The law, designed as a stopgap measure, was to be replaced by a permanent constitutional amendment but the plans were halted by Berlusconi's rift with Fini and a split in the ruling PDL party, which plunged the government into crisis last year.

Date created : 2011-01-13

  • ITALY

    Underage bellydancer at centre of latest Berlusconi scandal

    Read more

COMMENT(S)